Types of waste and disposal

Confidential waste

Confidential waste is generated in academic and general office areas. The originator of the waste does the sorting of waste into confidential and non-confidential, then waste is placed in confidential or if appropriate white paper bins. Confidential bins are collected when full by the caretakers by lodging a Buildings and Property Request Service. The contents are destroyed on site before being recycled.

White paper

White paper, typically used photocopy and printer paper, is collected via under desk Australian Paper Chase bins. Users then empty these bins into nearby 240 litre recycling bins. When full the caretakers replace these bins and take the full ones for collection by contractor.


Cardboard can be placed in recycled paper bins as long as boxes are flattened to maximize bin space. Large quantities can be collected by the Caretakers by lodging a Buildings and Property Request Service. Cardboard is binned and collected by a recycling company.

General Waste Bins

General waste bins situated throughout the buildings are collected by the cleaners daily. This waste is collected by the Waste contractor and sent for sorting to prevent waste to landfill. Under desk bins are not emptied by cleaners and are the responsibility of the occupant.

Biodegradable Wet Waste

This waste collected in green lid bins or desk top bins is collected by the cleaners daily and recycled by the waste contractor.

Medical Waste (including Sharps)

Medical waste generated by the Laboratories is dealt with by the licensed waste contractor. Waste is collected by the caretakers on demand, having been sealed in appropriate containers, and stored for pickup by licenced contractors.

Chemical Waste

Chemical waste is generated throughout the university and is stored on site in labeled Winchester containers in Physical Sciences in charge of the Chem Store for collection by licenced contractors. If an area has a large quantity of waste or if the waste is particularly dangerous the contractor picks up direct rather than staff transport the waste across campus.

Fluorescent Tubes

Fluorescent tubes are collected by caretakers and maintenance staff when servicing or replacing light fittings. The tubes are then sent for recycling.

Computer Hardware

Redundant computer hardware is collected by caretakers and collected by Asbytech. Asbytech is an organization employing people with Asperger’s syndrome to reuse, repair or recycle no longer required IT hardware.

Toner Bottles and Cartridges

Toner bottles and cartridges are to be boxed and when sufficient quantities have been collected, can be collected by caretakers by lodging a Buildings and Property Request Service. Toners and cartridges are then sent to close the loop for recycling at no cost to the University.