What is Mentoring?
Peer mentoring in this sense offers school students a young adult who can provide an unbiased ear, scholastic support and a positive role model through building positive, nurturing and trusting relationships.
What is the Inspire Mentor Program?
- Inspire is a mentor program for young people and children who are disinclined or at risk of disengaging from their education
- Inspire aims to increase school retention rates in Adelaide's southern region and develop a stronger culture of learning
- Inspire Mentors are volunteers from any Flinders degree
- Inspire is a child-safe program
What is the role of an Inspire Mentor?
- to listen to the young person
- to be youth-focused
- to be interested in the young persons' interests
- to walk alongside the young person as a co-learner
What support do mentors receive?
- The Inspire project coordinator provides ongoing support
- A teacher or youth worker will supervise you on site when you meet with the young people or children you are matched with
- The network of active Inspire mentors through an email list
5 good reasons why our current mentors think you should be an Inspire Mentor:
- For just 2 hours per week you can be the support a young person or child needs to believe in themselves as learners and have FUN at the same time!
- This is your chance to give something back to the community in a well-designed and supported volunteer program
- You will gain experience and grow in ways that you will not have anticipated
- You will increase your own self-confidence, communication and negotiation skills and feel good about what you can offer another person
- Employers look for extra-curricular activities on your resume that demonstrate graduate skills such as commitment, community leadership and social responsibility
"I was a mentor at Forbes Primary School last year - a fabulous experience I think should be compulsory for Education students! I went more than the recommended 1 hour per week as I enjoy the classroom environment, joined in with excursions as well as PD days. I have also made very good professional contacts from this experience who have helped me with relief teaching this year." Jen, Bachelor of Education student and Inspire Mentor.
- Register for face to face mentoring
- Register for online e-mentoring
- Once you have registered, complete and submit the Child Related Employment Screening Application Form (DOC 299KB) using these instructions. Inspire will pay for the screening.