In the middle of your degree it’s time to start considering what field your want to go into after University.
It’s time to start researching more thoroughly the occupations that you are considering, further develop your degree related experience, and start to articulate the skills you have been developing or what to further develop.
Undertaking a range of curricular activities now, alongside your studies, will be a great advantage to you as you head towards the final stages of your degree.
If you haven’t already started to build some experience, undertaken some extra curricular activities or participated in some professional development, it’s definitely time to start now!
- Research more thoroughly the occupations that you are considering
- Take advantage of the Seminar Series, Employers on Campus & Careers Fairs to learn about various career fields & what employers are looking for in Graduates.
- Gain some experience:
- Participate in skills development programs
- Get your resume together – this is a great way to see what you’ve achieved, and also to see what else you can achieve. Keep this regularly updated to reflect your career development.
- Drop in & see a Career Development Consultant
- Put together a plan of what you’d like to do over the next 12 months
Do at least two of the following mid way through your studies:
- Be mentored by a professional
- Continue to increase your skills through meaningful extracurricular activities, volunteer work, degree/industry related work experience
- Find an industry association related to your field– often these memberships are either free, or at a reduced cost, for students.
- Register for the Careers & Employer Liaison Centre GradJobs list – did you know that many graduate employers advertise employment opportunities at the beginning of your final year?
- Be a student representative on a university consultative committee.
- Undertake some part time or casual work
- Volunteer with a group or organization of interest to you
- Participate in a Community group of interest to you