Flinders University is a culturally diverse community which recognises that each student and staff member brings their own unique capabilities, experiences and characteristics to the study or work environment.
Flinders University values and respects the social, cultural and linguistic diversity of its community and encourages inclusive practices in order to provide an environment that is creative, innovative, flexible and productive.
To recognise our commitment to cultural diversity and to sustain and enhance a culturally inclusive environment, Flinders University will:
- continue to promote a respect for cultural diversity in University programs and policies
- continue to encourage our staff and students to observe the values of inclusiveness and fairness whilst maintaining high professional standards so they are able to effectively interact with and operate in culturally diverse communities
- continue to provide adequate facilities and use materials and methods that are culturally appropriate for students and staff in the University
- develop further initiatives that promote mutual respect, harmony, cooperation and opportunities for cross-cultural exchange
- support an educational approach to the challenges that cultural diversity brings.
The Flinders University CDIP Project supports our commitment to sustain and enhance a culturally inclusive environment. Cultural diversity refers to the similarities and differences among cultures across ethnic, religious and language boundaries, for example. Flinders University promotes inclusive teaching and internationalisation in all areas of teaching and research through discussion forums on the internationalisation of the curriculum, teaching diverse learners and cultural diversity in the workplace.
Relates to the diverse ethnic, religious and language dimensions of all people in our University community.
Recognises diversity as a resource that enriches our core activities (Teaching & Learning, Research, Leadership & Administration and Community Engagement).
Benefits of celebrating diversity
A culturally inclusive University provides a creative and productive, innovative environment, and promotes mutually respectful relationships.