A postgraduate program
Course type: Postgraduate (coursework)
Availability (full-time or part-time): Full-time l Part-time
Location: On campus
Course name: Master of Language Studies
Duration (full-time equivalent): 2 years
SATAC code: 2CM036
CRICOS code: 064989J
This course is designed to provide an advanced level of understanding of one of the following areas of specialisation: Cultural Studies and/or Applied Linguistics, relative to French, Italian, Modern Greek, Spanish or Indonesian. Students will be exposed to an in-depth body of knowledge relative to the above two areas of specialisation.
The course will train students to form broad conceptual understandings while gaining depth of knowledge of a particular area of the above areas of specialisation, through coursework and through a supervised study project. It will also provide advanced practical language training and vocational knowledge and abilities in areas relevant to the language professional.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
- demonstrate broad knowledge of Cultural Studies and/or Applied Linguistics Studies, relative to French, Italian, Modern Greek, Spanish or Indonesian
- develop advanced critical understanding of theories and principles underpinning the chosen area of Language Studies, and knowledge of current issues therein
- undertake and successfully complete a supervised study project in a specific area of Language Studies
- communicate at a high level of competence in language skills intrinsic to specialised vocational applications
- demonstrate advanced level of knowledge and skills in relation to cross-cultural communication
- develop understanding and respect for Australia's cultural and linguistic diversity.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule:
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or an equivalent qualification from an approved tertiary institution, which includes a major, completed with a Credit or better Grade Point Average, in one or more of the following languages: French, Modern Greek, Spanish, Italian and Indonesian.
However, under special circumstances and subject to specific conditions, the Faculty Board may admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
International students: Entry and English language requirements
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Application closing dates:||
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Applications:||How to apply|
|Application closing dates:||Semester 1 - 30 November of the year preceding admission
Semester 2 - 31 May of that year.
|Course||Domestic students||International students|
|Master of Language Studies||
Place type: Full fee paying
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.