No further student intake
The Graduate Diploma in Indigenous and Remote Child Health is a 36-unit program offered by the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences.
The course is delivered jointly with Menzies School of Health Research and/or Centre for Remote Health incorporating both core and elective topics from the Menzies Master in Public Health and from the CRH Master of Remote Health Practice.
- hold a recognised Medical degree and have full or conditional registration as a medical practitioner within Australia or in their home country
- have completed an internship recognised within Australia or their home country.
The Graduate Diploma aims to provide students with the opportunity to acquire advanced paediatric clinical knowledge/skills as well as an understanding of community child health principles, values and practices that contribute to improving health care access for Indigenous children as well as all children living in rural and remote areas.
At the completion of the course, students are expected to be able to
- Confidently and competently treat and manage common paediatric problems within their own practice
- Organise, manage and implement community Child Health Programs within their local district
- Identify more complex paediatric problems, institute initial management and refer on to the major centres
- Build their own network of support/resource people for consultations and know when to use them
- Impart paediatric knowledge to fellow workers (e.g. medical students, nurses, health workers etc.) and also to the community (e.g. in community education)
To qualify for the Graduate Diploma, a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study.
Except with permission of the Faculty Board:
- no topic may be attempted more than twice;
- the program must be completed within six consecutive semesters.
The award of a grade of Fail (F) in the same topic on more than one occasion will constitute prima facie evidence of unsatisfactory progress for the purposes of the University's Policy on Student Progress.
A student who withdraws from the course or fails to renew enrolment may re-enrol only with the Board's approval.
Core - Year 1 topics
HLTH8301 Indigenous and Remote Clinical Paediatrics 1 (9 units)
HLTH8302 Indigenous and Remote Clinical Paediatrics 2 (9 units)
plus one of
REMH8013 Public Health Principles for Remote & Indigenous Practice (4.5 units)
PHM567 Introduction to Public Health* (4.5 units)
Elective - Year 1 topics
Students choose 13.5 units from the following:
REMH8014 Ethics Power and Practice (4.5 units)
REMH8015 Research and Evidence Based Decision Making (4.5 units)
PHM570 Epidemiology and Control of Communicable Diseases* (4.5 units)
PHM593 Tropical Child Health* (4.5 units)
PHM592 International Health and Global Economy* (4.5 units) OR
REMH8019 Health Economics (4.5 units)
PHM553 An Introduction to Biostatistics* (4.5 units) OR
PHM552 Introduction to Epidemiology* (4.5 units)
* Menzies School of Health Research Topic