The Graduate Diploma in Screen and Media Production is offered by the Faculty of Education, Humanities and Law over one year of full time study, or part time equivalent. The course articulates with the Graduate Certificate in Screen and Media Production and the Master of Screen and Media Production.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification from an approved tertiary institution. Under exceptional circumstances and subject to specific conditions, the Faculty Board may admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
This course aims to provide students with:
- theoretical knowledge and applied skills in a range of video production and post-production practices;
- communication skills to enable them to collaborate with peers on screen production projects;
- an understanding of issues and theory in a related field of study;
- research and writing skills in screen and media studies; and
- a practical understanding of professional activities in related fields of study.
Upon completion of the course graduates will have acquired:
- skills in a range of commonly employed documentary production practices, including project research, script writing, production and post-production techniques;
- knowledge and skills to undertake research into documentary subjects, write scripts for documentaries, and apply technical skills in the production of documentaries;
- the ability to collaborate with peers on basic screen production projects; and
- knowledge of issues and theory in a related field of study.
Students who have completed the Graduate Certificate in Screen and Media Production will be eligible to receive 18 units of specified credit into the Graduate Diploma in Screen and Media Production.
Other qualifications will be considered for credit transfer as per the University’s credit transfer policy.
To qualify for the Graduate Diploma in Screen and Media Production a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study:
Core Year 1 topics
22.5 units comprising:
SCME8001 Screen and Media Production 1, Production (4.5 units)
SCME8002 Screen and Media Production 2, Post Production (4.5 units)
SCME8003 Screen and Media Production 3, Minor Project (4.5 units)
SCME8004 Screen and Media Production 4, Research and Writing (4.5 units)
SCME8009 Non-fiction Form and Ethics (4.5 units)
Option - Screen and Media Year 1 topics
Select at least 4.5 units from the following:
SCME7058 Screen and Media Practicum (4.5 units)
SCME8010 3D Media Studio GE (4.5 units)
SCME8013 Media Audiences (4.5 units)
SCME8014 Introduction to Screenwriting GE (4.5 units)
SCME8015 Screen Production Drama Project (4.5 units)
SCME8016 Media Policy GE (4.5 units)
Select elective topics to make up a total of 36 units. Electives may be chosen from any postgraduate topic offered by the University, provided topic prerequisites are met.