The course is offered by the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences. The program requires one year of full-time study or the equivalent part-time.
A student who has completed all the requirements for the Bachelor of Medical Science, or a qualification deemed equivalent by the Faculty Board, or another acceptable qualification and other work as prescribed by the Board may be accepted as a candidate for the honours degree providing a sufficiently high standard has been achieved in fulfilling the requirements for the bachelors degree. Applicants must normally have achieved a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5.0 or better in the Bachelor of Medical Science, or equivalent qualification, to be eligible to apply for entry. Admission in the honours program is subject to the University being able to provide appropriate resources and staff to supervise the program of study.
To allow more capable students to extend their undergraduate career by demonstrating their ability to work in a research environment. In particular, the Honours year provides experience in research design, critical analysis of information, data management and theory generation using both qualitative and quantitative methods.
Graduates of the course will:
- be able to apply basic knowledge to specific health issues and hence be prepared to undertake research projects in their field of interest
- be equipped to pursue postgraduate research study
- be capable of undertaking a research project that involves clinical, quantitative or qualitative methods
- be able to present their findings to the academic community
- possess the skills to apply for and prepare research grants.
To qualify for the Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) degree a student must complete satisfactorily 36 units of study.
MMED7004D Honours Program in the School of Medicine (9/36 Units) AND
MMED7004E Honours Program in the School of Medicine (9/36 Units) AND
MMED7004G Honours Program in the School of Medicine (9/36 Units) AND
MMED7004H Honours Program in the School of Medicine (9/36 Units)