The Graduate Certificate in Education (Higher Education) is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work and is available via online delivery.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification, and normally be employed in a teaching position in a higher education institution. However, the Faculty Board may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
The Graduate Certificate in Education provides candidates with opportunities to critically examine recent literature, engage in debate and reflection, and expand and apply in-depth knowledge of:
- policies and practices related to their area of interest
- methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively
- theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making
- curriculum, pedagogy and assessment policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and student/client well-being
- theoretical and practical matters related to their area of interest.
It is expected that graduates will be able to:
- further enhance dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity to facilitate the application of evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices
- apply high-level technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse and theorise about developments that contribute to professional practice or scholarship
- critically reflect on, evaluate and synthesise knowledge gained from reading, discussion and writing to demonstrate an advanced understanding of educational research, policies and practices
- demonstrate contemporary evidence-based knowledge when operating in educational contexts.
Credit may be granted, on application, for topics completed or being undertaken towards another relevant Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree, or for accredited professional development.
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Education (Higher Education) specialisation, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P, NGP, or better, according to the following program of study.
Core - Year 1 topics
Option - Year 1 topics
Select 4.5 units from: