Not offered in 2018
The Graduate Certificate in Education (Studies of Asia) is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work and is available on campus and in distance mode.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification. However, the Faculty Board may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
The Graduate Certificate in Education provides candidates with opportunities to critically examine recent literature, engage in debate and reflection, and expand and apply in-depth knowledge of:
- policies and practices related to their area of interest
- methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively
- theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making
- curriculum, pedagogy and assessment policies and practices designed to improve learning outcomes and student/client well-being
- theoretical and practical matters related to their area of interest.
It is expected that graduates will be able to:
- further enhance dispositions, cognitive skills, reflective awareness and creativity to facilitate the application of evidence-based knowledge, skills and capacities to educational practices
- apply high-level technical and communication skills to design, evaluate, implement, analyse and theorise about developments that contribute to professional practice or scholarship
- critically reflect on, evaluate and synthesise knowledge gained from reading, discussion and writing to demonstrate an advanced understanding of educational research, policies and practices
- demonstrate contemporary evidence-based knowledge when operating in educational contexts.
Credit may be granted, on application, for topics completed or being undertaken towards another relevant Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree, or for accredited professional development.
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Education (Studies of Asia) specialisation, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in topics listed below.
Option - Year 1 topics
Select 18 units from the topics listed
EDUC8881 Studies of Asia Across the Curriculum: An Introduction (4.5 units)
EDUC8883 Studies of Asia: Contemporary Issues and Values (4.5 units)
EDUC9882 Studies of Asia: Premodern Asian Societies and Cultures (4.5 units)
EDUC9884 Studies of Asia: Arts Learning Area 1 (Sources and Contexts) (4.5 units)
EDUC9885 Studies of Asia: Arts Learning Area 2 (Contemporary Arts of Asia) (4.5 units)
EDUC9886 Studies of Asia: English Learning Area 1 (Literatures from Asia) (4.5 units)
EDUC9887 Studies of Asia: English Learning Area 2 (Contemporary Asian Literature) (4.5 units)
EDUC9888 Studies of Asia: Utilising In-Country Experience (4.5 units)
EDUC9889 Studies of Asia: Field Study (4.5 units)