The Graduate Certificate in Education is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work. It is designed to meet the increasing demand for postgraduate level education for educators across a diverse range of specialisations and to provide a pathway to further study. It will enable candidates to explore current educational research and practice, to shape a personal educational pathway and to apply that knowledge in their professional practice. It is available on campus and in distance mode.
Students may tailor a program of study to meet their own needs or may elect to complete a specialised program of study.
Students will choose to apply for either the:
Or one of the following named specialisations:
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice)*
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Gifted Education)*
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Higher Education)**
- Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program)**
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Languages Education)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership and Management)*
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Special Education)*
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Studies of Asia)*
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Vision Impairment)**
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Wellbeing and Positive Mental Health)*
*available in distance mode
**distance mode only
Note: some specialisations and individual topics are offered in distance mode. Some specialisations are available by part-time study only.
The specialisation will be identified on the student’s transcript of academic record and on the parchment presented to the student on completion of the course.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification. However, the Faculty Board may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
In addition to this admission requirement, some specialisations in the Graduate Certificate have additional admission criteria.
The Graduate Certificate in Education may be completed in one semester full-time, or the equivalent part-time. However as not all topics are offered in every semester some specialisations are not suited to full-time study.
Credit may be granted, on application, for topics completed or being undertaken towards another relevant Graduate Certificate, Graduate Diploma or Masters degree, or for accredited professional development.