The Graduate Certificate in Education is an 18-unit program offered by the Faculty of Education, Humanities and Law and is available on campus and in distance mode.
Students will be given the opportunity to choose from the following specialisations or to undertake the named Graduate Certificate in Education.
- Behaviour **
- Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice *
- Gifted Education*
- Higher Education
- International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program (IBMYP)**
- Leadership and Management *
- Learning Difficulties *
- Professional Learning
- Social Justice in Education
- Special Education *
- Studies of Asia *
- Vision Impairment **
- Vocational Education and Training in Schools (VETiS)
*available in distance mode
**distance mode only
Note: some specialisations and individual topics are offered in external mode. Some specialisations are available by part-time study only.
The specialisation will be identified on the student’s transcript of academic record and on the parchment presented to the student on completion of the course.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification. However, the Faculty Board may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
Credit may be granted, on application, for topics completed or being undertaken towards another relevant Graduate Certificate or Masters degree, or for accredited professional development.
In addition to this admission requirement, some specialisations in The Graduate Certificate have additional admission criteria.
The Graduate Certificate in Education may be completed in one semester full-time, or the equivalent part-time. However as not all topics are offered in every semester some specialisations are not suited to full-time study.
The Graduate Certificate in Education is professionally-oriented and is intended for people currently employed in the field of education, those who would like to be so employed, and those who have an interest in developing their knowledge and practice in their area of interest, with a focus on understanding and changing practice.
It aims to provide students with opportunities to critically examine literature, engage in debate and reflection, and develop:
- in-depth knowledge of policies and practices related to their area of interest;
- knowledge of methods for fostering interdisciplinary and intercultural partnerships and working collaboratively;
- knowledge of theoretical and practical matters in education in such a way as to improve professional decision making;
- their own educational pathways.
The program is designed to meet the increasing demand for professional development for educators across a diverse range of specialisations.
It is expected that graduates will be able to:
- critically discuss and evaluate current theory and research in selected areas of educational policy and practice;
- examine recent writing in the field of education with an informed critical perspective;
- translate knowledge gained from reading, discussion and writing into Educational Practices;
- contribute to the informed construction of educational policy, whether local, national or global.
Credit may be granted for relevant postgraduate study.
Program of Study
To qualify for The Graduate Certificate in Education in one of the specialisations listed below, a student must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, in topics selected from the chosen specialisation.
To qualify for The Graduate Certificate in Education a student who chooses not to complete a specialisation must complete 18 units with a grade of P or NGP, or better, from any combination of topics offered in the specialisations listed below, for which the student meets the topic pre-requisites.
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Behaviour)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Cognitive Psychology and Educational Practice)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Gifted Education)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Higher Education)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Leadership and Management)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Learning Difficulties)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Professional Learning)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Special Education)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Studies of Asia)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Vision Impairment)
- Graduate Certificate in Education (Vocational Education and Training in Schools) (VETiS)