International student program
The Graduate Certificate in Primary Health Care (Nursing) is an 18-unit program offered by the College of Nursing and Health Sciences. The program is only available to nurses registered in countries other than Australia.
Applicants must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification and must be registered nurses in a country other than Australia.
In addition applicants must provide a supporting statement nominating their area of clinical preference for university sourced observational professional experience placement.
However, the Board may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
The course will not lead to registration with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia.
The Graduate Certificate in Primary Health Care (Nursing) aims to:
- facilitate development of specialised knowledge, skills attributes for application in a range of primary health care nursing environments
On completion of this course students will be able to:
- critically analyse the concepts and theories underpinning the provision of Primary Health Care in a range of health care environments
- identify and enact relevant international, national, state and territory strategic health care goals in Primary Health Care nursing environments
- apply concepts and theories of Primary Health Care nursing in a simulated Primary Health Care setting
To qualify for the Graduate Certificate in Primary Health Care (Nursing) a student must complete 18 units as specified below with a grade of Pass or NGP or better in each topic.
The award of a grade of Fail (F) in the same topic on more than one occasion or in 9 units or more, or failure to complete the course within four consecutive semesters may constitute prima facie evidence of unsatisfactory progress for the purposes of the University's Policy on Student Progress.
Except with permission of the Faculty Board:
- no topic may be attempted more than twice
- a student may not include a topic which repeats work previously undertaken.
Core - Year 1 topics
4.5 units comprising:
NURS8720 Primary Health Care Constructs and Contexts (4.5 units)
Option - Year 1 topics
13.5 units selected from:
NURS8725 Primary Health Care Observational PEP (4.5 units)
NURS8821 Health Management for Infants, Children and Young People (4.5 units)
NURS8824 Introduction to Working with Infants, Children and Families (4.5 units)
NURS8730 Diabetes Management (4.5 units)
NURS8721 Community and Primary Health Care Nursing (4.5 units)
MHSC8112 Perspectives on Chronic Diseases Management (4.5 units)
MHSC8114 The Persons’ Experiences of Self-Management (4.5 units)
NURS9708 Social Context of Health and Ageing (4.5 units)
NURS9710 The Three Ds - Dementia, Delirium and Depression (4.5 units)
PALL8436 Palliative Care in Aged care Setting(4.5 units)
Not all topics will be available in any given year or semester.