The Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies is a 36-unit program offered by the College of Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences.
The course is taught at the Adelaide College of Divinity.
Applicants who do not hold the Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies must normally hold an approved degree or equivalent qualification from an approved tertiary institution.
However, the Dean (Education) may, under certain circumstances and subject to specific conditions, admit others who can show evidence of fitness for candidature.
This course is designed to follow on from the Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies and expand students' investigation of a range of issues in classical and contemporary theological and biblical studies. It provides students with opportunities to critically reflect on theological dimensions of professional and community life, and develops foundational skills and knowledge for further postgraduate studies in theology.
The Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies is designed for two categories of students:
- those who hold a tertiary qualification in a non-theological discipline who have a general interest in theology, religion and Christianity
- those who hold a tertiary qualification in theology and wish to advance their knowledge and skills for the purposes of professional and personal development.
The Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies aims to:
- extend students' knowledge and understanding of a range of classical and contemporary theology and biblical studies
- extend student examination and reflection on theological dimensions and independently apply these to make high level decisions in their own professional and social life
- be able to apply theoretical knowledge and skills to initiate, plan, implement and evaluate professional and/or social programs
- provide students with opportunities to develop knowledge and skills in several areas of contemporary academic theology.
On completion of the Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies students will have:
- demonstrated an advanced knowledge of the literature and texts in the disciplines of theology and biblical studies
- demonstrated skills in hermeneutical and other academic methodologies in the reading and analysis of biblical, and other theological texts
- contributed to informed theological academic debate and knowledge as it applies to contemporary issues and contexts and demonstrated the ability to independently apply these to make high level decisions in their own professional and community life
- the ability to plan, initiate and undertake research and analysis of a range of sources, and communicate findings at a post-graduate level.
Limited credit may be granted for recognition of prior studies undertaken at the University or other approved tertiary institutions. Further information is available here.
Students who complete the Graduate Certificate in Theological Studies are normally awarded credit for 18 units of topics towards the Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies.
To qualify for the Graduate Diploma in Theological Studies, a student must complete 36 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic, according to the following program of study:
Core - Year 1 topics
plus one of
plus one of
Option - Year 1 topics
Select 18 units from the topics listed below
THEO7106 Readings in Old Testament Studies (4.5 units)
THEO7204 Readings in New Testament Studies (4.5 units)
THEO8004 The Bible and Popular Culture GE (4.5 units)
THEO8102 Interpreting the Old Testament GE (4.5 units)
THEO8103 Ecology and the Bible (4.5 units)
THEO8104 Pentateuch GE (4.5 units)
THEO8105 Prophetic Literature GE (4.5 units)
THEO8106 Writings of the Hebrew Bible GE (4.5 units)
THEO8107 Wisdom Literature GE (4.5 units)
THEO8202 Synoptic Studies GE (4.5 units)
THEO8204 Interpreting the New Testament GE (4.5 units)
THEO8205 John's Gospel and the Johannine Epistles GE (4.5 units)
THEO8206 Pauline Letters GE (4.5 units)
THEO8207 Study Tour: Lands of the Bible GE (4.5 units)
THEO8701 Biblical Greek 1 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8702 Biblical Greek 2 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8703 Biblical Greek 3 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8704 Biblical Hebrew 1 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8705 Biblical Hebrew 2 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8706 Biblical Hebrew 3 GE (4.5 units)
Historical and Systematic Theology
THEO7306 Readings in Systematic Theology (4.5 units)
THEO8314 Introduction to Christian Thought GE (4.5 units)
THEO8316 Church, Ministry and Sacraments GE (4.5 units)
THEO8317 God the Trinity GE (4.5 units)
THEO8318 Religious Pluralism in a Contemporary World GE (4.5 units)
THEO8401 Church History A GE (4.5 units)
THEO8402 Church History B GE (4.5 units)
THEO7501 Readings in Ministry and Mission Studies (4.5 units)
THEO8501 Community Based Spiritual Care GE (4.5 units)
THEO8502 Christian Education GE (4.5 units)
THEO8503 Christian Leadership GE (4.5 units)
THEO8504 Ministry and Mission Studies 1 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8505 Ministry and Mission Studies 2 GE (4.5 units)
THEO8506 Reading Cultures GE (4.5 units)
THEO8508 Theology and Practice of Chaplaincy (4.5 units)
THEO8509 Exploring Cross-Cultural Ministry GE (4.5 units)
THEO8510 Theology of Reconciliation GE (4.5 units)