The Master of Business Administration is a 54 unit program which is part of the Graduate Program in Business Administration offered by the Flinders Business School within the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences. It articulates with the 18-unit Graduate Certificate in Business Administration and the 36-unit Graduate Diploma in Business Administration, and the sequentially developed topics allow progression through the three awards.
The Master of Business Administration also offers the opportunity for specialisation in one of 6 distinctive fields - International Business, Finance, Biotechnology, Tourism, Education and Health. This degree offers the business acumen required by graduates of all disciplines, and specialised knowledge to enhance career opportunities in specific fields, particularly for those entering such organisations or progressing their profession in management or consulting positions.
Students who have completed the Graduate Diploma normally receive credit for up to 36 units of topics towards the Masters degree.
Alternatively, students enrolled directly in the Masters program may choose only to meet the requirements for the Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma and exit with that qualification.
Applicants for the Master of Business Administration must normally hold a bachelor degree from an approved tertiary institution, OR have completed the Graduate Diploma of Business Administration.
Applicants are also required to have at least three years of work experience.
Admission will be offered on the basis of academic merit.
Non-business specialisations have slightly different entry requirements from the business specialisations in the MBA in order to ensure they admit students appropriately qualified in the specific discipline:
- entry to the Master of Business Administration (Education) requires a bachelor degree in an education-related field from an approved tertiary institution plus at least 3 years professional experience working in an education related field.
- entry to the Master of Business Administration (Health) requires a bachelor degree in a health-related field from an approved tertiary institution plus at least 4 years professional experience working in the health or aged care industries.
- applicants with a bachelor degree in a health-related field and at least 3 years experience in the health industry and who study part-time (and thus add to professional experience whilst studying) can also apply for the Master of Business Administration (Health)
The course is designed to provide a strong foundation in appropriate business knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes for successful careers as managers of organisations including private sector business organisations, not-for-profit organisations and public organisations. It aims to:
- Provide students with strategic thinking skills and to develop in students a strategic approach to decision making
- Develop student knowledge and skills across the range of management areas relevant to decision making, including strategic management, financial management, human resource management and marketing management
- Provide students with relevant technical knowledge of accounting, finance and economics
- Provide students with a sound understanding and appreciation of the context in which organisations operate including the impact of broader economic and global business conditions and practices on the operations and viability of organisations
- Provide students with specialised knowledge and skills in one of six areas of specialisation
Students successfully completing this course should be able to:
- Provide leadership through a strategic approach to managerial decision making
- Interpret financial information to evaluate organisational performance
- Apply sound financial management techniques and analytical skills to the operations of their organisation
- Recognise the potential impact of economic conditions and events on the operations of the organisation
- Take account of the impact of the global business environment in which the organisation operates
- Analyse organisations and apply contemporary management practices compatible with organisational sustainability and effective workforce relations
- Manage the marketing needs of an organisation within a variety of settings
- Operate effectively within an area of specialisation