The Master of Psychology (Clinical) is a 72-unit program offered by the College of Education, Psychology and Social Work.
Applicants must hold an approved honours degree of 1st or upper 2nd Class standard in the field of psychology, or qualifications deemed equivalent by the Faculty Board.
To equip graduates of the program to be eligible for Clinical College membership of the Australian Psychological Society so that they can practise as clinical psychologists. The requirements of such programs are made explicit by the Clinical College guidelines as well as the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council.
Specifically, on successful completion of the course a student will:
- have a good understanding of current conceptualisations of the etiology of psychological disorders
- be able to assess and diagnose psychological problems
- be able to perform basic psycho-educational and cognitive assessments of children and adults
- be able to develop and deliver evidence-based psychological interventions
- have a thorough understanding of the ethical and professional issues relevant to the practice of clinical psychology
- have completed a research report and literature review of no more than 10,000 words to qualify for the qualification.
To qualify for the Master of Psychology (Clinical), a student must complete 72 units with a grade of P or NGP or better in each topic.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year and other options may be offered.
The award of a grade of Fail (F) in the same topic on more than one occasion or in more than one topic may constitute prima facie evidence of unsatisfactory progress for the purpose of the University’s Policy on Student Progress.
Except with the permission of the Faculty Board, the program must be completed within eight consecutive semesters.
Core - Year 1 topics
PSYC9003 Research Issues (4.5 units)
PSYC9006 Introduction to Clinical Child Psychology (4.5 units)
PSYC9007 Counselling and Professional Issues (4.5 units)
PSYC9035 Psychological Assessment (4.5 units)
PSYC9009 Abnormal Psychology and Psychopharmacology (4.5 units)
PSYC9010 Practicum A (9 units)
PSYC9014 Introduction to Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (4.5 units)
Core - Year 2 topics
PSYC9005 Further Applications of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (4.5 units)
PSYC9011A Practicum B (9 units)
PSYC9101A Research Project (4.5/13.5 units)
PSYC9004 Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine (4.5 units)
PSYC9012 Practicum C (4.5 units)
PSYC9101B Research Project (4.5/13.5 units)
PSYC9101C Research Project (4.5/13.5 units)