No longer offered
The Bachelor of Commerce (Sustainability) requires three years of full-time study (or the equivalent part-time) and the honours program an additional year (or the equivalent part-time). The course is offered by the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences.
Enrolment in the honours program may be offered to a student who meets certain academic criteria and subject to the school/department being able to provide appropriate resources and staff to supervise the program of study.
The specialisation will be identified on the student’s transcript of academic record and on the parchment presented to the student on completion of the course.
The minimum requirements for consideration for entry to all undergraduate courses are specified in detail in the University Entry Requirements.
This course provides a broad and flexible educational preparation for a range of professional, business-related careers in private and public enterprise. A Bachelor of Commerce aims to provide students with:
- sound knowledge, understanding, skills and attitudes to facilitate careers in business-related fields
- the opportunity to obtain professional knowledge in key business functions
- the opportunity to obtain professional credentials (where relevant)
- considerable scope for studies beyond business to broaden the overall educational experience.
Students successfully completing this course should be able to:
- demonstrate an appreciation of the broad environment in which business operates
- contribute effectively to the successful operation of a business
- apply analytical skills, relevant theory and logical thought to decision making processes within a business
- communicate effectively in a business environment, both verbally and in writing
- demonstrate commitment to ethical and socially responsible business practice
- demonstrate detailed understanding of theory and practice in key business specialisations
- apply specialist skills to analyse issues and develop appropriate reports or other documentation.
To qualify for the Bachelor of Commerce (Sustainability) a student must complete 108 units with a grade of P or better or NGP in each topic. This must include:
- 31.5 units of core topics
- 31.5 units of specialisation topics
- 18 units of BUSN option topics
- Elective topics to bring the total to 108 units
Elective topics may be selected from any offered by the University, provided course and topic prerequisites requirements are met. No more than 45 units of First Level topics may be included in the 108 units.
Not all topics are necessarily available in a given year.
Except with the permission of the Faculty Board, the course must be completed within ten consecutive years. Failure to do so may constitute evidence of unsatisfactory progress. Where permission is given to complete in more than ten consecutive years, there may be a requirement for additional coursework in order to ensure relevant and up-to-date knowledge.
Core - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
31.5 units comprising:
BUSN1001 Accounting Principles (4.5 units)
BUSN1009 Quantitative Methods (4.5 units)
BUSN1012 Management, People and Organisations (4.5 units)
BUSN1013 Economics for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN1019 Law for Business (4.5 units)
BUSN3043 Governance, Sustainability and Ethics (4.5 units)
COMP1301 Information Systems in Business (4.5 units)
Specialisation - Sustainability - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
For students who commenced before 2016 only
Plus 18 units selected from:
ASST3011 Environment and Development in Asia (4.5 units)
DVST2701 Sustainable Development (4.5 units)
ENVS3732 Environmental Impact Assessment (4.5 units)
ENVS3742 Issues in Environmental Management (4.5 units)
GEOG2711 Australian Environmental Change (4.5 units)
GEOG2712 Asian Regional Development (4.5 units)
GEOG2722 Society and Space (4.5 units)
LLAW3242 Environmental Law** (4.5 units)
PHIL2604 Environmental Philosophy (4.5 units)
BUSN3026 Business Planning for New Ventures* (4.5 units)
BUSN3045 Enterprise and Innovation Project#* (4.5 units)
*Permission must be sought to enrol in this topic
**Permission required as prerequisites apply
#Quotas apply and access will be competitive
Option - Business - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
Plus 18 units of BUSN topics, where topic prerequisites are met.
Elective - Year 1, 2 & 3 topics
Plus 27 units of electives from any topics offered by the University, where topic prerequisites are met.