Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years (full time only)
Location: On campus - Adelaide College of the Arts, Light Square
2017 Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR): 60.00 plus audition
For those completing the SACE (or interstate equivalent) the minimum ATAR required for consideration of entry is 60.00.
Applicants are required to attend an audition and meet the University’s minimum entry scores.
The Bachelor of Creative Arts (Dance) is a degree in elite dance performance.
Performance is combined with study of the theoretical knowledge that is essential for gaining employment and building skills as a professional dancer.
- has a strong emphasis on performance and on realising productions for public presentation
- equips you with comprehensive professional skills in the areas of major employment in the entertainment industry: realistic dance techniques, devised movement practices, dance project realisation, choreography and stage performance
- introduces you to areas of development and increasing importance in the Australian industry
- encourages you to work as conceptual artist through courses specialising in techniques of group devising, auto-performance and choreography
- develops your awareness of the relevance of these discourses to professional practice.
Delivered in Partnership with TAFE SA through Adelaide College of the Arts in Light Square, students will enrol concurrently at Flinders University and TAFE SA.
Students will study full-time over three years and graduate with a TAFE SA Certificate IV in Dance (CUA40113), Diploma of Dance (Elite Performance) (CUA50113), Advanced Diploma of Dance (Elite Performance) (CUA60113) and Flinders’ Bachelor of Creative Arts (Dance).
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
Why study Dance at Flinders?
The Bachelor of Creative Arts (Dance) at Flinders:
- is the only Bachelor course in dance offered in South Australia
- draws on the strengths and reputations of both TAFE SA and Flinders to offer a premiere degree and provide rare and exclusive access to these industry connections and networks.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
Additional requirements: Audition required. Applicants are considered for their suitability to undertake the course successfully. Applicants are required to provide a positive physical fitness examination report from a recognised physiotherapist and a doctor’s certificate prior to an audition being offered. The Audition Panel, comprising lecturing staff of the Adelaide College of the Arts and Flinders University and a physiotherapist will assess and score each student. This score will form part of the non-academic criteria for admission at both TAFE SA and Flinders University.
Applicants will be assessed on:
- Demonstrated skills and knowledge of the techniques of contemporary dance and classical dance
- Level of fitness
- Ability to perform routines
- Musicality – a sound understanding of rhythm for basic time signatures
- Ability to assemble the body in alignment
- Ability to improvise
- Ability to communicate through the body
- Strength, flexibility and control
Special circumstances applicants can send an audition DVD.
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||To be advised|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|CRICOS code:||Not available to international students|
|Mid year entry:||Not available to international students|
|Applications:||Not available to international students|
Not available to international students
Note: Note: Fees for each component are charged separately by each institution. Further information.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Creative Writing)
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Drama)
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Digital Media)
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Screen)
TAFE SA RTO code: 41026