Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Computer Science provides a strong theoretical understanding and practical experience in the design of efficient reliable software to meet industry requirements, and of the hardware on which that software runs.
- gain skills in the core computing technologies, and knowledge of general computing and introductory programming
- develop your expertise in programming and software development
- be introduced to key facets of computer systems.
Throughout, you will have the opportunity to participate in group projects and attend guest lectures by computing and information technology professionals.
There is a strong emphasis both on the fundamentals of computing and on practical skills and teamwork.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Computer Science?
Computer Science is the study and creation of computational systems, and includes specialised areas such as operating systems, networks, databases, graphics, data security and artificial intelligence.
Computing has become vital to all areas of science and technology. It also plays an increasingly important role in commercial and social life.
Why study Computer Science at Flinders?
The Bachelor of Computer Science at Flinders:
- appeals to those with an interest in programming and computabilit, software systen design and development
- is accredited at the professional level with the Australian Computer Society
- equips graduates with the applied skills, tools and techniques to work as professional software designers and developers in industry or research
- gives graduates the theoretical knowledge to progress to computer science research.
This program is accredited by the Australian Computer Society at the professional level.
Courses accredited at this level by the Australian Computer Society are recognised internationally under the Seoul Accord.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Applied Geographical Information Systems | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 214822
- Bachelor of Behavioural Science (Psychology) l 4.5 years l SATAC code: 214052
- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer and Network Systems) (Honours) l 5.5 years l SATAC code: 224802
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) (Honours) l 5.5 years l SATAC code: 224822
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours) l 5.5 years l SATAC code: 224842
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Honours) l 5.5 years l SATAC code: 224852
- Bachelor of Engineering Science | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 214822
- Bachelor of Science | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 214822
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Prerequisites: Mathematical Methods or Mathematical Studies (SACE Stage 2 or equivalent).
International students are expected to have completed senior secondary mathematical methods/mathematical studies or equivalent.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software)
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Digital Media)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Digital Media) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Network and Cybersecurity Systems)
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Network and Cybersecurity Systems) (Honours)
Further study options
- A Bachelor of Science (Honours) is available
- Master of Science (Research)
- Phd (Research)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|