Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) / Bachelor of Arts will:
- prepare you to become an effective teacher of children from birth to eight years of age in a range of community settings
- provide you with a rich liberal education, allowing for specialisation in two areas of choice.
As part of this double degree program you will:
- acquire knowledge about young children, their families, and the community services that provide for their care and education
- complete a major sequence and a minor sequence related to a selected 2 teaching specialisations in Arts chosen from about 40 different options.
A Teaching Practicum program is common to all Education degrees.
We aim to educate teachers who appreciate the complex nature of their work and practice in ways that promote a socially just, democratic and ecologically sustainable world.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Education?
Education encompasses teaching and learning specific skills and something less tangible but more profound: the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment and well-developed wisdom.
Why study Education at Flinders?
Our education courses:
- allow you to complete 2 degrees in 4 years
- provide specialised options for those who wish to teach at different levels within the education system
- prepare students to become effective and appropriately skilled teachers
- open a wider range of career options than conventional teaching programs
- promote a socially just, democratic and ecologically sustainable world.
Successful completion of this program provides a recognised academic qualification which will enable graduates to apply for teacher registration in South Australia and some overseas countries.
Applicants should note that there are other criteria determining eligibility for registration by the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia and other registration and regulatory authorities.
Applicants are advised to check registration requirements as they are subject to change.
Graduates looking for employment in other parts of Australia and overseas may be required to meet additional conditions.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Additional requirements: Students are required to undertake professional experiences in a range of diverse educational contexts. Requirements of professional experience include:
- Obtaining a Child-Related Employment Screening through the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI);
- The ability to undertake the required block professional experiences placements; and
- Holding a current certificate of attendance for Responding to Abuse and Neglect - Promoting Safety and Wellbeing.
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||No|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
Further study options
Refer to Postgraduate courses - Education