Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Education (Middle and Secondary Schooling) / Bachelor of Science allows you to become an effective teacher in middle or secondary school.
In the first 2 years all students undertake a common program of study and then choose either the Middle Schooling Strand (Years 6 - 10) or the Secondary Schooling Strand (Years 8 - 12).
This double degree gives you the broad foundation in science necessary to provide future students with the high levels of scientific, mathematical and technological literacy.
As a student teacher with professional experience placements in a middle and secondary school environment you will have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge with students , teachers and educational staff.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Education?
Education encompasses teaching and learning specific skills, and something less tangible but more profound: the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment and well-developed wisdom.
Why study Education at Flinders?
Our education courses:
- allow you to complete a double degree in 4 years
- provide specialised options for those who wish to teach at different levels within the education system
- prepare students to become effective and appropriately skilled teachers
- open a wider range of career options than conventional teaching programs
- promote a socially just, democratic and ecologically sustainable world.
Successful completion of this program provides a recognised academic qualification which will enable graduates to apply for teacher registration in South Australia and some overseas countries.
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of 1 extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Prerequisities: None. Some first year University topics in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics will assume knowledge of corresponding SACE Stage 2 subjects
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Additional requirements: Students are required to undertake professional experiences in a range of diverse educational contexts. Requirements of professional experience include:
- Obtaining a Child-Related Employment Screening through the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI);
- The ability to undertake the required block professional experiences placements; and
- Holding a current certificate of attendance for Responding to Abuse and Neglect - Promoting Safety and Wellbeing.
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes (part-time only)|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Education (Middle and Secondary Schooling) / Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Education (Middle and Secondary Schooling) / Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Education (Middle and Secondary/Special Education) / Disability Studies
Further study options
- Refer to Postgraduate courses - Education
Education (PDF 778KB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|