Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Science allows you to become an effective teacher in secondary school.
There are two strands:
- Two senior years teaching areas
- One senior teaching area and two junior secondary teaching areas.
This double degree gives you the broad foundation in science necessary to provide future students with the high levels of scientific, mathematical and technological literacy.
As a student teacher with professional experience placements in a secondary school environment you will have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge with students , teachers and educational staff.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Education?
Education encompasses teaching and learning specific skills, and something less tangible but more profound: the imparting of knowledge, positive judgment and well-developed wisdom.
Why study Education at Flinders?
Our education courses:
- allow you to complete a double degree in 4 years
- provide specialised options for those who wish to teach at different levels within the education system
- prepare students to become effective and appropriately skilled teachers
- open a wider range of career options than conventional teaching programs
- promote a socially just, democratic and ecologically sustainable world.
Successful completion of this program provides a recognised academic qualification which will enable graduates to apply for teacher registration in South Australia and some overseas countries.
Applicants should note that there are other criteria determining eligibility for registration by the Teachers Registration Board of South Australia and other registration and regulatory authorities.
Applicants are advised to check registration requirements as they are subject to change.
Graduates looking for employment in other parts of Australia and overseas may be required to meet additional conditions.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Prerequisities: None. Some first year University topics in Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics will assume knowledge of corresponding SACE Stage 2 subjects
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Additional requirements: Students are required to undertake professional experiences in a range of diverse educational contexts. Requirements of professional experience include:
- Obtaining a Child-Related Employment Screening through the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion (DCSI);
- The ability to undertake the required block professional experiences placements; and
- Holding a current certificate of attendance for Responding to Abuse and Neglect - Promoting Safety and Wellbeing.
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes (part-time only)|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Arts
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary) / Bachelor of Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary / Bachelor of Special Education
Further study options
- Refer to Postgraduate courses - Education
Education (PDF 2MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|