Course type: Honours
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.4, A Levels: 8, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) (Honours) focuses on developing the specialised skills involved in designing and analysing hardware systems and algorithms for products such as PDA's, mobile phones, games machines through to aircraft flight control systems, unmanned vehicles, super computers and global telecommunications systems.
There is a strong and balanced emphasis on the development of theoretical concepts, practical engineering skills and teamwork.
We have developed close relationships with a number of private sector and government organisations and all students undertake Flinders' nationally recognised 20 week industry placement.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Computer Systems Engineering?
Computer systems engineering is a blend of electronic engineering and computer science.
Computer systems engineers build the computer-based systems required to meet the future needs of a world in which technology is constantly changing.
With computers performing ever more sophisticated tasks, these engineers must draw on their imagination, creativity and analytical skills to design and build tomorrow's computer systems.
Why study Computer Systems Engineering at Flinders?
The Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) (Honours) at Flinders:
- lets you participate in Flinders University's nationally recognised 20-week industry placement program
- is accredited by both Engineers Australia and the Australian Computer Society and is recognised internationally
- provides many opportunities for employment with computer systems integral to most aspects of modern life.
This program is provisionally accredited by Engineers Australia at the level of professional engineer. Full accreditation is normally granted when the first cohort of students graduate from the program.
Professional engineering courses accredited by Engineers Australia are recognised internationally under the Washington Accord. Once fully accredited graduates will meet the academic requirements for attaining chartered professional engineering status.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Computer Science l 5 - 6.5 years l SATAC code: 224802
- Bachelor of Design and Technology Innovation l 5 - 6.5 years l SATAC code: 224802
- Bachelor of Environment l 5 - 6.5 years l SATAC code: 224802
- Bachelor of Information Technology l 5 - 6.5 years l SATAC code: 224802
- Bachelor of Science l 5 - 6.5 years l SATAC code: 224802
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Prerequisites: SACE Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods, Mathematical Studies or equivalent. Knowledge of SACE Stage 2 Physics or equivalent is assumed.
International students are expected to have completed senior secondary mathematical methods/mathematical studies or equivalent. Knowledge of senior secondary physics is assumed.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Engineering Science
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Electronics)
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology
Further study options
- Doctor of Philosophy (Research)
- Master of Engineering (Electronics)
- Master of Engineering (Research)