Course type: Honours
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.4, A Levels: 8, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
At Flinders we aim to provide broad-based civil engineering qualifications that will enable graduates to work across a range of disciplines.
The Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Honours) has four main themes:
As a graduate, you will be equipped with skills and knowledge that will enable you to pursue careers in the construction industry, engineering consultancies, government agencies, local government and related areas.
Third year incorporates our nationally recognised industry placement program, which provides you with 20 weeks of structured industry work experience with a local, national or international organisation.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Civil Engineering?
There are few areas of modern society where civil engineers have not had an impact.
Civil engineers develop and maintain a wide variety of physical infrastructure such as bridges, buildings, airports, roads, railways, ports, mine sites, water and wastewater supply, treatment and reuse systems. They also help to maintain sustainable natural environments.
They are highly creative and innovative problem solvers who design, construct, manage, maintain, or rehabilitate all aspects of this infrastructure. The technical solutions developed by civil engineers must take into consideration social, environmental and financial constraints.
They must work closely with architects, planners and the community to ensure that what is constructed is what is needed. And unlike many disciplines, the fruits of civil engineering often last a very long time.
Civil engineering graduates are in great demand with career destinations including building and construction, transport and the mining industries.
Why study Civil Engineering at Flinders?
The Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Honours) at Flinders:
- prepares you to become responsible for the infrastructure and resources essential to the functioning of cities, towns and rural areas
- has been designed in close collaboration with industry to meet future development needs
- lets you participate in Flinders University's nationally recognised 20-week industry placement program
- gives you the specialist knowledge and skills that will enable you to engage professionally with industry.
This program is provisionally accredited by Engineers Australia at the level of professional engineer. Full accreditation is normally granted when the first cohort of students graduate from the program.
Professional engineering courses accredited by Engineers Australia are recognised internationally under the Washington Accord. Once fully accredited graduates will meet the academic requirements for attaining chartered professional engineering status.
Combined degree options
You can combine this degree with any other bachelor degree within the College of Science and Engineering, subject to meeting entry requirements.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Prerequisites: SACE Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods, Mathematical Studies or equivalent. Knowledge of SACE Stage 2 Physics or equivalent is assumed.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
|Annual fees:||2017: $30,700
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer and Network Systems) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Electronics)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering Science