Course type: Honours
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.4, A Levels: 8, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Honours) will build your professional skills and knowledge in the development of complex mechanical engineering systems and has been developed to meet the requirements for accreditation by Engineers Australia.
You will study areas such as engineering design, engineering materials, dynamics and mechanical design, biomechanics, signals and systems, fluid mechanics and project management.
We have developed close relationships with a number of private sector and government organisations and all students undertake Flinders' nationally recognised 20 week industry placement.
The Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) can be taken as a double degree with the Master of Engineering (Biomedical). Biomedical engineering involves using electronics and computer systems to improve health care and health services to enhance the quality of human life.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Mechanical Engineering?
Mechanical engineering is concerned with the design, construction and operation of machinery, and mechanical engineers are in great demand locally and internationally in a variety of industries.
It applies the principles of physics, materials science and mathematics to designing, developing, researching, evaluating, manufacturing, installing, testing, operating, maintaining and managing mechanical systems.
Mechanical engineers are in great demand locally and internationally in a variety of industries. As a discipline, mechanical engineering is applied in a variety of areas including mining, minerals processing, manufacturing, the oil and gas industry, the automotive, aviation and shipbuilding industries, electrical power generation and distribution, road and rail transport, defence, agriculture, fishing and food processing.
Why study Mechanical Engineering at Flinders?
The Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Honours) at Flinders:
- is concerned with the design, construction and operation of machinery
- provides specialist knowledge and skills that will enable you to engage professionally with industry
- lets you participate in Flinders University’s 20-week industry placement program.
This program is fully accredited by Engineers Australia at the level of professional engineer.
Professional engineering courses accredited by Engineers Australia are recognised internationally under the Washington Accord.
Graduates meet the academic requirements for attaining chartered professional engineering status.
Combined degree options
You can combine this degree with any other bachelor degree within the Faculty of Science and Engineering, subject to meeting entry requirements.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Prerequisites: SACE Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods, Mathematical Studies or equivalent. Knowledge of SACE Stage 2 Physics or equivalent is assumed.
International students are expected to have completed senior secondary mathematical methods/mathematical studies or equivalent. Knowledge of senior secondary physics is assumed.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
|Annual fees:||2017: $30,700
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer and Network Systems) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Maritime) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Electronics)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering Science
Further study options