Course type: Honours
Course length: 5 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 7.8, A Levels: 13, IB Diploma: 34, Gao Kao: Tier One
The Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Biomedical) is a double degree combination that allows high achieving students to undertake a 5 year course of study in biomechanical engineering.
You will study areas such as engineering design, engineering materials, dynamics and mechanical design, biomechanics, signals and systems, fluid mechanics and project management. You will also undertake studies in electronics and computer systems relevant to the development of biomechanical systems for use in improving health care and health services to enhance the quality of human life.
We have developed close relationships with a number of private sector and government organisations and all students undertake Flinders' nationally recognised 20 week industry placement.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Biomechanical Engineering?
Biomechanical engineering involves using a combination of mechanical, electronics and computer systems engineering to improve health care and health services and enhance the quality of human life. A relatively new area of activity, it has assisted in the development of products such as biocompatible prostheses, medical devices and tools for training medical professionals.
Why study Biomechanical Engineering at Flinders?
- uses electronics, mechanics and computer systems to improve health care and the quality of human life
- is accredited by Engineers Australia and is recognised internationally
- lets you participate in Flinders University’s nationally recognised 20-week industry placement program.
This program meets is accredited by Engineers Australia at the level of professional engineer.
Professional engineering courses accredited by Engineers Australia are recognised internationally under the Washington Accord.
Graduates meet the academic requirements for attaining chartered professional engineering status.
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Prerequisites: SACE Stage 2 Specialist Mathematics, Mathematical Methods, Mathematical Studies or equivalent. Knowledge of SACE Stage 2 Physics or equivalent is assumed.
International students are expected to have completed senior secondary mathematical methods/mathematical studies or equivalent. Knowledge of senior secondary physics is assumed. A minimum GPA of 5.0 is required to progress to the Masters.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Biomedical)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Civil) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Computer Systems) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electronics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Electrical) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Naval Architecture) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Robotics) (Honours) / Master of Engineering (Electronics)
- Bachelor of Engineering (Software) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Engineering Science
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology
Further study options