Course type: Undergraduate/Masters degree
Course length: 5 years
Location: On campus
Admission information sets: Flinders University | Bachelor of Exercise Science / Master of Exercise Physiology
The Bachelor of Exercise Science/Master of Exercise Physiology is a 5 year double degree.
The Bachelor of Exercise Science provides a comprehensive program of study to prepare students for the Master of Exercise Physiology. The 3 year course provides fundamental knowledge and will develop expertise to become a professional leader in exercise science.
Students will study human bioscience, exercise prescription, behaviour and best practices that underpin exercise science and pursue a major specialisation as part of the program in either:
- Sports science
- Health promotion
- Behavioural sciences
- Business or
- Allied health.
Students who complete the Bachelor of Exercise Science component of this double degree will progress to the 2 year Master of Exercise Physiology where they will complete their study with a clinical exercise physiology focus.
The program includes a compulsory 140 hour placement/practicum in the Bachelor of Exercise Science and a further 360 hours of clinical placement in the Master of Exercise Physiology.
This will prepare you for the delivery of preventative exercise programs and exercise interventions for the management of chronic and complex conditions.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
Why study Exercise Science at Flinders?
- This course will enable you to qualify for a career in the evolving field of exercise science and exercise physiology.
- Study core areas of human structure, function and behaviour before further study on the acute and chronic physiological and psychological responses to exercise in healthy individuals and those with chronic and complex health conditions.
- Pursue a major specialisation as part of the program in either nutrition, sports science, health promotion, behavioural sciences, business or allied health.
- Work with people who have chronic and complex conditions in a range of primary, tertiary and secondary prevention settings.
- Deliver exercise-based lifestyle and behaviour modification programs to prevent and treat injury and disease.
- Develop capacity to apply evidence-based practice to enhance health outcomes and skills to assess, monitor and modify exercise interventions within hospital, return to work and aged care populations in an individualised and client-centered approach.
Students who successfully complete the Bachelor of Exercise Science will be eligible to apply for membership with Exercise and Sport Science Australia as an exercise scientist.
Completion of the Master in Exercise Physiology will allow students to apply for membership with Exercise and Sport Science Australia as an accredited exercise physiologist.
*Accreditation of the degrees is subject to approval.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Prerequisities: None. Knowledge of SACE stage 2 biology or equivalent is assumed.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
If you are competing for a higher education transfer place you will need to achieve a high GPA to be competitive for a place in this course.
Applicants who have undertaken higher education study are eligible to compete, however, credit may be limited and dependent on the credit granted applicants may not be able to enrol full-time at all times.
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||No|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|CRICOS code:||This course is not available to international students|
|Mid year entry:||This course is not available to international students|
|Applications:||This course is not available to international students|
This course is not available to international students
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.