Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus l External and online delivery is available only for the VET pathway
FISC Foundation: 6.0, A Levels: 6, IB Diploma: 24, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Government and Public Management is unique in South Australia and was developed after consultation with senior public sector leaders.
The course will teach you how government works, and how to work with it. It will give you an advanced understanding of the values and processes of governance, the policy, regulatory and service-delivery roles of the public sector, policy analysis and the effective management of organisations, programs, resources and people.
The program is comprehensive but flexible. You will complete major sequences in both Management and Public Policy and acquire both specialist knowledge in policy areas that interest you - which might include the environment, economics, Indigenous affairs, welfare, education or foreign affairs - and generic workplace skills.
A TAFE/VET entry has been designed for people who have graduated with a TAFE/VET Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Management, Business, Government or related areas. Applicants who have completed such an award will receive credit amounting to half of the course requirements for the Bachelor of Government and Public Management - 1.5 years of credit.
This course equips graduates for a wide variety of roles in government and to work at the expanding interface between the public, business and non-profit sectors.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
- Public Policy
Why study Government and Public Management at Flinders?
- Our Bachelor of Government and Public Management program provides internship opportunities (in South Australia, the Australian Capital Territiory and Washington DC) and international exchange opportunities.
- Flinders has been a recognised leader in the fields of ‘government' and ‘politics' field virtually since its creation 4 decades ago. Our academics have advised and analysed political leaders in South Australia and nationally, and their opinions and commentary are widely sought and respected.
- Complementing the broad expertise of the School of Social and Policy Studies is the Flinders Institute of Public Policy and Management (FIPPM), which attracts students from around Australia and many parts of Asia. FIPPM staff specialise in human resource management, non-profit management and ethical and cultural issues in organisations.
- Our staff specialise in a range of domestic and international policy areas including the environment, housing, immigration, economics, indigenous affairs, foreign affairs, urban development, welfare and education policy.
- Our School of Social and Policy Studies has strengths in comparative government and politics - the study of the political institutions, political behaviour, political sociology, and political economy in different societies, countries and regions.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Business l 4 years l SATAC code: 214762
- Bachelor of Business (Business Economics) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224382
- Bachelor of Business (Entrepreneurship) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224392
- Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224402
- Bachelor of Business (International Business) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224412
- Bachelor of Business (Management) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224362
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224372
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224472
- Bachelor of Commerce (Finance) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224502
- Bachelor of Commerce (Sustainability) | 4 years | SATAC code: 224522
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
214672 (TAFE/VET entry)
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported2015: $7,271
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
Further study options
- A Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
- Graduate Diploma and Master of Public Administration
|Government & Public Management (PDF 605KB)|
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|