Course type: Undergraduate degree | Postgraduate coursework
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus (First 3 years) l External (Final year)
FISC Foundation: 6.6, A Levels: 9, IB Diploma: 27, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Health Sciences / Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health Practice pathway provides students with a guaranteed place in the Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health Practice on successful completion of the Bachelor of Health Sciences.
Students must also achieve a Grade Point Average of 5 or better in the 108 units of the Bachelor of Health Sciences in order to progress to the Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health Practice.
As part of the Bachelor of Health Sciences degree you will undertake a core program in psychosocial and biophysical sciences with a health emphasis as well as pursuing a specialist stream.
As part of the Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health Practice you undertake the following topics: Social Determinants of Health and Well Being, Sustainable Development - Issues for Public Health, Environmental Health Principles and Frameworks, Management of Food Safety and Communicable Disease, Legislation Relevant to Environmental Health and Environmental Health Policy, Management and Administration.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule:
What is Environmental Health?
Environmental Health is concerned with the effects of environmental factors on the health and well-being of people, including indoor and outdoor air quality, waste management, water quality for consumption and recreation, storm water management and water reuse, contaminated land, infectious disease and food quality and hygiene.
Why study Environmental Health at Flinders?
- Our Department of Environmental Health, part of the School of the Environment, teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate level and has the best record of PhD completions for any Australian university department in the environmental health area.
- Our lecturers are all established researchers with interests spanning biological wastewater treatment, quality of surface and recreational waters and terrestrial runoff, water re-use, environmental toxicology, environmental and occupational exposure to chemicals, risk assessment, environmental epidemiology, contaminated site assessment and bioremediation, Legionella ecology and control, GIS and health.
- Our staff's expertise is in great demand and they have, for example, served as the expert member on the Public and Environmental Health Council of SA, and independent verifier of environmental monitoring programs for SA's Environmental Protection Authority and technical advice coordinator for the State Emergency Services when dealing with incidents involving hazardous materials.
Graduates of the Graduate Diploma of Environmental Health Practice are eligible for membership of Environmental Health Australia and for professional practice as Environmental Health Officers.
The Graduate Diploma in Environmental Health Practice is a nationally accredited and internationally recognised qualification which is designed to provide an entry-level qualification to practice as a gazetted Environmental Health Officer (EHO).
An Environmental Health Officer is responsible for assessing, correcting, controlling and preventing those factors in the environment that can potentially adversely affect the health of present and future generations. EHOs work with engineers, planners, and other scientists to improve the quality of life for communities by improving their environments.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|CRICOS code:||020920E / 061126C|
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
Further study options
- Graduate Certificate in Enviornmental Health (Risk Assessment)
|Health (PDF 6MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|