Course type: Honours
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.6, A Levels: 9, IB Diploma: 27, Gao Kao: Tier Two
The Bachelor of Information Technology (Honours) is a comprehensive program that emphasises the practical skills needed for successful, long-term careers in the IT industry.
Its comprehensive nature and emphasis on practical skills to meet the information needs of any modern enterprise sets it apart from other courses.
This course is both highly technical and people-orientated. As well as its scientific and technical focus on areas related to software, network, web, database and internet services, areas such as management, communications and human behaviour are also covered.
In the Honours year you will undertake an Honours Thesis and selected topics.
A 3 year Bachelor of Information Technology is also available.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Information Technology?
Information technology (IT) covers everything from designing software to managing information systems or providing training.
It is integral to modern life because it drives innovation and assists us to solve problems in areas such as medical research, climate change, the environment and business. It has a significant impact upon the creative industries and in the development of new products and services.
Why study Information Technology at Flinders?
- Information Technology is taught through the School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics and draws on its expertise from across the School. The School is currently co-leading a 5 year $3.4 million national project examining how real time interaction between humans and machines can be made more effective.
- All topics are delivered by leading academics who are also active researchers and consult to a range of industries.
- Our 3 main concentration is research are:
- The Embedded Systems and Image Processing Laboratory, which works with computer architecture, embedded systems, bioinformatics and image processing and has explicit application domains with implementation in hardware/ software.
- The Knowledge Discovery and Intelligent Systems Laboratory, which focuses on issues relating to the discovery, modelling, interpretation and use of information and knowledge, particularly related to defence intelligence systems and health informatics. Individual programs include artificial intelligence, autonomous intelligent hybrid systems, conceptual modelling, data mining and knowledge discovery, enterprise information technology, and software patterns.
- Medical Devices and Technologies, which is a network of researchers, highly skilled in the development and application of a diverse range of medical technologies.
This program has been accredited at the Professional level by the Australian Computer Society.
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Bachelor of Computer Science
- Bachelor of Computer Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science in Computing & Digital Media
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) High Achievers Program
Further study options
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|