Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.6, A Levels: 9, IB Diploma: 27, Gao Kao: Tier 2
The Bachelor of Medical Science is an innovative and flexible course providing exciting options for students interested in a wide range of careers in the medical and health sciences.
The course emphasises the fundamental sciences that underpin virtually all fields of medical science.
The topics specific to Medical Science combine different approaches to learning and progressively cover key elements such as teamwork, verbal communication, critical thinking, problem solving, hypothesis development and testing, and preparation of a grant proposal and business plan for research.
It differs from traditional courses in biomedical science by offering a broader range of specialisations and new topics that focus on the professional skills required to gain employment in any field of medical science.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Medical Science?
Medical Science is a broad term that covers such areas as biochemistry, molecular biology, medicinal chemistry, microbiology, neuroscience, physiology, nutrition, pharmacology, toxicology, vision science and biomedical technology.
All are vital to our ongoing efforts to develop and evaluate new treatments and strategies for health problems.
Why study Medical Science at Flinders?
- We have a strong profile in Medical Science, combining the expertise of scientists working across 3 areas of the University who provide input to the degree program.
- Our staff undertake fundamental, innovative and cross-disciplinary research that unites medical researchers, chemists, physicists, biologists, biomedical engineers, vision scientists and biotechnologists in the task of improving people's quality of life.
- Our School of Medicine is one of the most progressive in Australia, having launched the concept of a graduate-entry medical degree and set new standards for student placements and addressing the needs of rural and remote communities. Its interests range from the international fight against avian flu to child obesity.
- Our School of Biological Science's expertise includes molecular biology and biotechnology, leading to cutting-edge research into DNA, forensics and the development of new pharmaceuticals.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Business and Technology l 4 years
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) l 5.5 years l SATAC code: 214772
- Master of Business and Technology l 5 years
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Further study options
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Biological Sciences or Medicine
- Master of Science (Research)
- PhD (Research)
Health (PDF 1MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|