Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
Animal Behaviour is a specialisation within a Bachelor of Science. This specialisation is also available within the 4 year Bachelor of Science (Honours).
A specialisation in Animal Behaviour gives students a broad-based foundation in animal behaviour and looks at behaviour of captive and wild animals.
This course will promote an understanding of the role of animal behaviour for assessing animal welfare, survival and evolution.
You will learn to appreciate the societal and ethical contexts of conservation biology, animal behaviour and animal welfare and you will receive training in retrieving, analysing and evaluating information relevant to animal behaviour, and communicating this information to a variety of audiences.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Animal Behaviour?
Animal behaviour is the study of whole organism interactions on planet Earth; it is the study of how individuals respond to and affect their social and ecological environment.
It includes a study of social organisation, individual strategy and decision making, and interactions between species like predator-prey and pollination.
Why study Animal Behaviour at Flinders?
- is taught by well respected staff who are currently working on local and international research projects in animal behaviour and have key connections with external organisations
- has practical applications for society including urban planning for wildlife, sustainable agriculture and fisheries, conservation management, and nature-based tourism
- examines animal behaviour from different levels including growth and development, chemistry and physiology, genetic ancestry, and adaptation
- gives the opportunity to apply your knowledge in project and research work
- offers a broad background in animal behaviour, which can form the basis for further study in areas of specialisation including behavioural ecology, conservation biology, education, medicine (human and veterinary), psychology and law.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Applied Geographical Information Systems | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224112
- Bachelor of Behavioural Science (Psychology) l 4 years l SATAC code: 214052
- Bachelor of Design and Technology Innovation | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224112
- Bachelor fo Engineering Science | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224112
- Bachelor of Environment | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224112
- Bachelor of Information Technology | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224112
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice l 6 years l SATAC code: 214442
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (Honours) l 6 years l SATAC code: 224302
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Enhanced Program for High Achievers
Further study options
Science & Mathematics (PDF 1MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|