Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
Biodiversity and Conservation is a specialisation within a Bachelor of Science. This specialisation is also available within the 4 year Bachelor of Science (Honours).
The Bachelor of Science (Biodiversity and Conservation) is unique in South Australia for its focus on the broad issues of diversity.
It will provide you with the knowledge and skills to make a difference to the local and global environment and it will teach you to analyse scientific information and form opinions about key environmental issues.
Involving a significant work in the field, the course will also teach you important professional and communication skills.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Biodiversity and Conservation?
Biodiversity essentially is the study of all living organisms in the environment, the range of different species that are found in each place and the methods that we can use to manage ecosystems to conserve as many of those species as possible.
The world has never been more attuned to environmental issues or to the need to train and employ specialists who can help us reduce our impact and plan wisely for the future. Conservation has moved into the mainstream debate and biodiversity is high on the global agenda for governments, organisations and individuals.
Why study Biodiversity and Conservation at Flinders?
- This course builds on Flinders University’s long-standing expertise in biology and ecology, with a particular focus on the diversity and dynamics of native species that live or have lived in Australia. We are involved in biodiversity surveys of natural and disturbed habitats, conservation ecology and ecosystem management, and the interpretation of past and present ecosystems for the development of ecotourism.
- We work closely with National Parks and Wildlife, the Plant Biodiversity Centre (formerly the State Herbarium), the SA Museum and the SA Research and Development Institute (SARDI) on conservation projects and biodiversity surveys. We have also been funded by state and local government bodies to investigate the impact and control of invasive organisms in South Australia including weeds and ants.
- We have also assisted with environmental impact surveys for the mining and fishing industries and have developed World Heritage Listed fossil sites for research and tourism interpretation.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Applied Geographical Information Systems | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 224132
- Bachelor of Design Technology and Innovation | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 224132
- Bachelor of Engineering Science | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 224132
- Bachelor of Environment | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 224132
- Bachelor of Information Technology | 5 - 6.5 years | SATAC code: 224132
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice l 6 years l SATAC code: 214442
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (Honours) l 6 years l SATAC code: 224302
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Enhanced Program for High Achievers
Further study options
Science & Mathematics (PDF 1MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|