Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
Biotechnology is a specialisation within a Bachelor of Science. This specialisation is also available within the 4 year Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Biotechnology).
The Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology) prepares you to work as a professional in one of the most exciting areas of modern science by combining theory and specialised practical training in the life sciences with the study of related business, legal, ethical and social issues.
The degree is underpinned by knowledge in entrepreneurial and corporate biotechnology.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is the use of living organisms – often minute, micro-organisms – to create products or perform tasks for us. Those organisms may be as simple as yeast or as complex as cells, genes, bacteria or DNA.
Why study Biotechnology at Flinders?
- Choose from a medical biotechnology or biological science stream.
- Learn from practising researchers who are recognised nationally and internationally in a wide range of biotechnologies.
- Study topics in foundations in microbiology and bioscience, from the bench to the community if you choose the biological science stream.
- Understand science in the global market through topics including commercialisation, entrepreneurship, financial management and business.
- This degree offers research placements where you can work with scientists within the University, Flinders Medical Centre and the biotechnology industry.
- Understand biotechnology practice within a regulatory and legal framework that prepares you for work in the industry - it's more than a science degree.
Combined degree options
You can combine this degree with any other bachelor degree within the College of Science and Engineering, subject to meeting entry requirements.
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice l 6 years l SATAC code: 214442
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (Honours) l 6 years l SATAC code: 224302
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|Mid year entry:||No|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
Further study options
- Graduate Certificate in Biotechnology
- Graduate Diploma in Biotechnology
- Master of Biotechnology Studies
- Master of Biotechonology (Research)
- Master of Science (Research)
- Phd (Research)
|Science and environment (PDF 6MB)|
|International course guides|