Course type: Honours
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.6, A Levels: 9, IB Diploma: 27, Gao Kao: Tier Two
Biotechnology is a specialisation within a Bachelor of Science (Honours). This specialisation is also available within the 3 year Bachelor of Science.
- was one of the first biotechnology courses in Australia and is still one of the very best
- mixes science with an understanding of the legal, social and ethical issues of biotechnology
- has a strong focus on the business skills that are crucial to the commercialisation of biotechnology, including intellectual property, enterprise management and marketing
- is taught by lecturers who are also successful researchers in an industry that is constantly evolving
- has strong support from the biotechnology industry.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Biotechnology?
Biotechnology is the use of living organisms – often minute, micro- organisms – to create products or perform tasks for us. Those organisms may be as simple as yeast or as complex as cells, genes, bacteria or DNA.
Why study Biotechnology at Flinders?
- Flinders was one of the pioneers of biotechnology teaching in Australia, first offering this course in 1991. Since then we have expanded our program to incorporate postgraduate options, including Masters degrees by coursework or research.
- This course draws on the resources of two faculties: Health Sciences as well as Science and Engineering. Our staff have expertise, and the University runs innovative research programs, in all the major areas of biotechnology: medical, industrial, bioinformatics, environmental, food and agricultural biotechnology. Staff also run world class research programs in a wide range of areas of biotechnology including bioremediation, cancer research, bio-processing, plant disease resistance and bio-control, wine research, therapeutic drug discovery, functional foods, bio-energy, water quality and marine biotechnology.
- This course prepares you to work as a professional in one of the most exciting areas of modern science by combining theory and specialised practical scientific training with the study of related business, legal, ethical and social issues.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Master of Business and Technology | 5 years
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
Note: Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Enhanced Program for High Achievers
Further study options
Science & Mathematics (PDF 1MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|