Course type: Undergraduate degree
Course length: 3 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.2, A Levels: 7, IB Diploma: 25, Gao Kao: Tier Two
Marine Biology is a specialisation offered within the Bachelor of Science. This specialisation is also available within the 4 year Bachelor of Science (Honours).
This course will introduce you to all aspects of marine science.
It combines technical depth with great flexibility, allowing you to tailor your progress, skills and knowledge to suit your interests.
Great emphasis is placed on teamwork, project design, sampling protocols, in-depth analysis, and written and oral communication, including discussion of key topics. These generic skills will prepare you for employment in a wide range of potential disciplines.
In addition, you may spend substantial amounts of time conducting practical exercises on marine organisms, collecting real data from the marine environment and undertaking research projects onshore, in our aquarium facilities, or at sea. These specific skills will ensure that you have the relevant hands-on experience to make you competitive for jobs in marine biology.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Marine Biology?
Marine biology is the study of the living world in the sea, from the simple molecules that support life to the complex interactions between populations of many species.
Why study Marine Biology at Flinders?
- We have a large team of marine biologists and oceanographers undertaking world-class research on current issues in marine science. We also have a team of aquaculturists who are major partners in two seafood related CRCs (Cooperative Research Centres) and offer links between the two degrees.
- We are a lead partner in the Marine Innovation SA (MISA), which facilitates research and infrastructure in the areas of biosecurity, ecosystem services, aquaculture innovation and product quality and value adding. Through MISA, the Lincoln Marine Science Centre (LMSC) in Port Lincoln has recently been expanded. The LMSC increasingly provides opportunities for research and teaching in marine biology and marine resource use. MISA has also made joint appointments with the South Australian Research and Development Institute (SARDI) for Aquatic Sciences possible, which has seen our academic staff number grow.
Combined degree options
You can combine this course with the following:
- Bachelor of Design and Technology Innovation | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224172
- Bachelor of Engineering Science | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224172
- Bachelor of Environment | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224172
- Bachelor of Information Technology | 5.5 - 6 years | SATAC code: 224172
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice l 6 years l SATAC code: 214442
- Bachelor of Laws and Legal Practice (Honours) l 6 years l SATAC code: 224302
Study a language
Flinders also offers all students the opportunity to major in a language in conjunction with any undergraduate course. The Diploma in Language is designed to provide students with competence in a chosen language that adds greater portability to their qualifications. You will complete a total of one extra year of study and graduate with both your chosen degree and the Diploma in Language. You can apply for this at time of enrolment.
Prerequisites: None. However knowledge of Stage 1 Mathematics and/or Phsyics is desirable.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth-supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Enhanced Program for High Achievers
Further study options
Science & Mathematics (PDF 4MB)
|eBrochure: Undergraduate international prospectus|