Course type: Honours
Course length: 4 years
Location: On campus
FISC Foundation: 6.6, A Levels: 9, IB Diploma: 27, Gao Kao: Tier 2
Marine Biology and Aquaculture is a double specialisation offered within the Bachelor of Science. It is also available within the 3 year Bachelor of Science.
The Bachelor of Science (Honours) (Marine Biology and Aquaculture) enables you to combine studies in aquacultural production technologies and business skills with scientific study of the diversity of life in the sea.
This double specialisation will equip you to take up positions in either the research or applied science sectors.
What will I study?
Refer to the course rule.
What is Marine Biology and Aqualculture?
Marine biology is the study of the living world in the sea, from the simple molecules that support life to the complex interactions between populations of many species.
Aquaculture is applied science at the most practical level and is more than just fish farming. Aquaculture includes the production of molluscs (including oysters, abalone, mussels and scallops) and crustaceans (shrimps, prawns, freshwater and marine crayfish), and even aquatic plants such as seaweed.
Why study Marine Biology and Aquaculture at Flinders?
- Acquire extensive knowledge in marine biodiversity, ecology, genetics, conservation, fisheries and related areas.
- Develop practical and theoretical skills for a career in the aquaculture industry.
- Gain a broad understanding of the biology of marine organisms, their relationships with the physico-chemical marine enviornment, and their potential responses to changes.
- Join the largest academic group of marine scientists in South Australia.
- Learn from internationally eminent marine biologists and oceanographers undertaking world-class research on current issues in marine science.
Combined degree options
You can combine this degree with any other bachelor degree within the College of Science and Engineering, subject to meeting entry requirements.
Combine with the Bachelor of Letters
The Bachelor of Letters is available to all students studying a degree at Flinders and is available in languages, English, creative writing, innovation and enterprise, and sports performance coaching. It enables you to follow your interests and aspirations and enhance your career prospects by undertaking a second area of study in addition to your primary degree. You will graduate with two qualifications, expanding your employment opportunities.
Prerequisities: None. However knowledge of Stage 1 Mathematics and/or Phsyics is desirable.
International students: Knowledge of senior secondary mathematics and/or physics is desirable.
Domestic students: You can qualify for undergraduate courses through: year 12 qualifications, adult entry (STAT/Bridging Program), TAFE/VET qualification, higher education transfers. Flinders also offers a range of special access schemes. Refer to undergraduate study applications.
International students: Entry and English requirements
Applications and annual fees
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
Place type: Commonwealth supported
|Mid year entry:||Yes|
|Applications:||How to apply|
- Domestic student fees are indicative only. Further information: How are these fees calculated?
- We accept international applications for programs commencing beyond the year advertised and tuition fees for these years will be higher. Please note that your tuition fees may be subject to an annual increase.
Refer to credit transfer for further information.
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) - Enhanced Program for High Achievers
Further study options
|Science & Mathematics (PDF 4MB)|