Disability Advisors provide a free, confidential service for students who have a disability. A 'disability' can be a medical condition, mental health condition, learning difficulty, or any disability that impacts on study. Carers of people who have a disability can also contact a Disability Advisor. 

Disability Advisors negotiate adjustments for students, to improve access to their study and the university.  Disability Advisors also provide advocacy on behalf of individual students or on disability issues that affect a number of students.


Contact a Disability Advisor

Phone: 8201 2118

Email: disability@flinders.edu.au



  • Main campus (Monday to Friday)
  • Sturt campus (Tuesday)
  • Tonsley campus (by appointment)
  • Online via Skype
  • Phone

Book an appointment

** Book online for face to face appointments at Main Campus.

For all other appointments - please phone 8201 2118, or email disability@flinders.edu.au 


Student Disability Service at Flinders

Students and staff describe the services of the Disability Service and how it can assist students with their studies.

Who we are ...

  • Toni Crisci, BA BSW
  • Disability Advisor (Mon, Tues, Wed)
  • Kirsten Read, B AppSc (Occupational Therapy), Grad Cert (Counselling)
    Disability Advisor (Tues, Thur, Fri)
  • Lauren Riessen, B Psychology, Grad Dip (Counselling Studies)
  • Disability Advisor (Mon, Wed, Fri)
    • Carmen Bastian
      Disability support, reception and administration
  • Christine Crichton 
  • Reception and administration
  • Rhonda Menton
    Reception and administration

Other contact staff
Disability-related policies
Accessible parking
Negotiating adjustments to teaching and assessment methods
Related links

Other contact staff

College Disability Academic Advisors

Each College appoints a member of academic staff as a College Disability Academic Advisor (CDAA). CDAAs act as a point of contact and information for students with disabilities and for academic staff who need to clarify issues relating to reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities. 

  • Education, Psychology and Social Work: Anna Noble 8201 3360
  • Business, Law and Government: Ms Jenny Richards 8201 5976, Assoc Prof Janet McIntyre 8201 2075
  • Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences: Dr Anne Thompson 8201 3174
  • Nursing and Health Sciences: Ms Didy Button 8201 3312, Dr Pammi Raghavendra 8201 3426
  • Medicine and Public Health: Assoc Prof Lisa Schmidt 7221 8898
  • Science and Engineering: Mr David Hobbs 8201 3167, Dr Paul Gardner-Stephen 8201 3730

Library Contacts 

Visit the library information desk, or Ask a Librarian. See the Library Services for Students with Disabilities web page for further information.

Equal Opportunity Contact Officers

Information about the Equal Opportunity Contact Officer network is available on the contact officers page at the Equal Opportunity website.    

Disability-related policies

Flinders has a Disability Policy and has developed a Disability Action Plan to ensure appropriate infrastructures are established and maintained within the University. Implementation of the policy is overseen by the Disability Committee .

Accessible parking

Disability parking bays are available in all car parks, except car park 1. An Australian Disability Permit is required to park in these areas. People who have a short-term disability can apply for a non-renewable three month University permit through the University Health Service. Written evidence from a treating medical professional is required. These permits are only valid when displayed with an annual, semester or day permit.

Adjustments to teaching and/or assessment methods

Students who wish to apply for adjustments to teaching or assessment methods on the basis of a disability should see the Guidelines for Reasonable Adjustment to Assessment and Teaching Methods for Students with Disabilities which are included in the Student Related Policies and Procedures Manual.

'Reasonable adjustment to assessment' refers to special conditions or considerations in examinations and other assessment exercises.

'Reasonable adjustment to teaching methods' refers to variations in the way courses/topics are taught in order that they are accessible to students with disabilities.  

How do I apply? 

Make an appointment to see a Disability Advisor (phone 8201 2118), and bring documentation of your disability to the appointment (this is required under University policy).

Documentation can be a letter from your treating professional, or you can use the following disability verification form (DOCX 63KB)

If you have a Specific Learning Disability you need to provide the report from the psychologist who did the assessment, and it must be from when you were at least sixteen years old. Your information remains confidential within the Health, Counselling and Disability Services. 

The Disability Advisor can write an Access Plan that makes recommendations (to lecturers, Exams Office, etc) about how your disability may need to be accommodated (your disability is not disclosed in the Access Plan). Any strategies we suggest will be governed by the inherent requirements of the course you are studying.

Students may find it useful to discuss their needs with a Disability Advisor before approaching academic staff. Students who are dissatisfied with a response from a topic coordinator or with provisions made for reasonable adjustments to assessment should follow the procedures detailed in the University's Student Appeals and Complaints Policy.

If you require adjustment to examination arrangements, your application must reach the Examinations Office by the advertised date, which is usually 4-5 weeks before the examinations period begins. Applications made after this date cannot usually be accepted. The Examinations Office will inform you of what arrangements have been made before the examinations period. 

Related links

Library services for students with disabilities

Equal Opportunity

Employment for students with a disability