Graduate Coursework Programs
Our Graduate Coursework Programs are more than just another degree.
Our Masters programs incorporate a wide range of topics from archaeology, heritage management, tourism, environmental management, history, biodiversity studies and geography, and have been deliberately designed to fill the skills gaps identified in graduate training by a 2005 and 2010 national survey of working archaeologists.
Find out more details about our three interrelated programs:
- Graduate Program in Archaeology
- Graduate Program in Cultural Heritage Management
- Graduate Program in Maritime Archaeology
BUT WAIT ... THERE'S MORE!
We would like to thank our Industry Advisory Panel, which provides advice and critical guidance to our graduate programs, ensuring their continuing relevance to local and international industry needs. Panel members form a consultative board to advise on on topic content, program structure, workplace opportunities, skills needs, and any other issues relevant to ensuring that our students remain competitive and employable upon graduation.
Alongside our award-winning academic program, Flinders also offers the Directed Industry-Ready Training (DIRT) Program, combining university credit with a wide range of Industry projects and partners. The DIRT Program:
- Networks our students with heritage industry professionals, including private companies, state government departments, local government and community organisations, who provide training and mentoring in a variety of capacities.
- Fosters professional development and growth, expert collaboration, career advancement, and visibility to assist students to become recognised members of the discipline before they graduate.
- Offers increasingly comprehensive industry-integrated projects, including Directed Studies (individual, mentored research projects with an industry partner), Practicums (60-120 hours in a heritage workplace), and a Cultural Heritage Internship (360 hours of paid employment with a cultural heritage management employer) to build depth of experience and accelerate career path development.
- Incorporates the Archaeology Master Class series, through which industry partners from a range of heritage specialities deliver free workshops and offer a range of complementary skills and knowledge that can’t be accommodated within the confines of a degree.
- Includes a free DIRT Portfolio to allow students to keep track of their Master Classes, major projects and other essential information to create a unique professional portfolio of their achievements. Don't apply for a job without it!
Enrolling at Flinders also offers you added benefits, including:
- Access to the exclusive Graduate Student FLO site, The Sandbox, which provides a forum for staff and students to interact and find out what’s happening across all three programs.
- Access to the Archaeology Employment FLO Site, which is regularly updated with all the latest vacancies in archaeology and cultural heritage management.
- A free Graduate Programs T-shirt (PDF 656KB) available in a range of colours, styles and sizes.
- Regular graduate functions, which introduce students to each other and to the wide range of Industry Partners and Adjunct Staff who support our graduate programs.
Don’t just take our word for it either - read what our students have to say and decide for yourself. To find out more about what our graduate students do at Flinders, read the Archaeology blog, or download the latest edition of Engage: The Bulletin of the Flinders Graduate Programs in Archaeology.