Three-week in-country programme in Crete, Greece (2-20 July, 2018)
Following our previous highly successful in-country programmes in 2015, 2016 and 2017, we are pleased to announce the dates for the fourth in-country programme for Modern Greek students. The programme will take place on the beautiful island of Crete (University of Crete, Rethymno), from 2nd to 20th of July 2018.
The Crete in-country programme is organised by the LOGOS Centre and the Modern Greek Section at Flinders University, in collaboration with the Centre of Intercultural and Migration Studies, University of Crete. The programme includes four hours tuition daily delivered by staff of the University of Crete, experienced in teaching Modern Greek as a foreign/second language. On completion of the programme students will receive credit - equivalent to a topic - towards their degree, provided they have been enrolled in LANG3500 Special In-Country Studies Topic or equivalent in 2018.
- Return airfares to and from Crete, you will have to make your own travel arrangements.
(If you book early you will get a better deal)
- Approx. 900 Australian dollars, depending on the exchange rate, which includes:
- Accommodation: single bedrooms for three (3) weeks at the University of Crete dorms.
- All teaching materials supplied.
- Transfer from and to the airport in Heraklion. Approx. 6.00pm on Sunday 1st July and 8.00am on Saturday 21st July 2018.(depending on departures)
- Two (2) full day cultural excursions e.g. Knossos, Chania, Preveli, the allied cemetery etc.
- Please allow some money for meals (lunch is available during the week in the University canteen at a very reasonable price, 3-5 Euros per lunch).
- Transfer fares between the city of Rethymno and the University campus (taxi/bus). A taxi is approx. 5 euros and a bus 1.2 Euros (0.6 Euros if you hold your international student ID). Please note that busses to and from the university are not very frequent (every hour) as July is the summer holiday period.Any other personal expenses e.g. entertainment etc. (optional)
WHO CAN APPLY
- Students currently studying Modern Greek through Flinders University as a major.
- Students who have completed at least one Modern Greek Language topic at post matriculation level.
- Students who have completed a Modern Greek Culture topic and have prior knowledge in Modern Greek Language (have completed some formal studies in the Modern Greek Language).
- Students studying Modern Greek at other tertiary institutions: Due to important administrative requirements, you will be required to: a) obtain permission from your institution for the topic to be recognised as part of your degree (Major, Minor or Elective) and b) enrol in LANG3500 Special In-Country Studies Topic (Flinders Uni. Topic), cross-institutionally.
- Any student with prior Modern Greek language knowledge will be considered.
Up to 15 students will be selected by the Modern Greek Section at Flinders University.
HOW TO APPLY
Please complete the pplication form below and forward it to one of the following email addresses:
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com,
- Applications must be submitted by 10 November 2017.
- The successful applicants will be notified by 1 December 2017 and a deposit of $200 will be required by 2 January 2018.
- Flights must be booked by 24 April 2018 to secure your place in the programme (flights must arrive in Heraklion preferably no later than 5pm on Sunday 1 July 2018).
Study Abroad Application Form 2018 (DOCX 563KB)
The Jordanis Maragozidis Prize
A prize of 300 AUD will be awarded, after the completion of the in-country programme, to the student with the highest marks.
The Panarkadian association of South Australia
1 Clifford Street
Torrensville, SA 5031
117A-117E Henley Beach Road
Mile End, SA 5031
ph.: 8352 4444