Conference attendance and travel funding support are available through the Faculty. Please read the  EHL NCL/OCL funding scheme rules (PDF 123KB) before applying for funding. Applicants are reminded that in a normal year they may receive one OCL allocation or two NCL allocations.


All members of EHL teaching staff appointed for one or more years at 0.4 FTE or above are eligible to apply for conference attendance support.

Professional staff seeking conference support should apply through the Flinders University Professional Staff Conference Scheme.


Due to the transition to a new academic and professional support structure that will take place on Monday, 1 July 2017, it is necessary to change the normal end-July EHL deadline for National Conference Leave funding applications to an earlier date. NCL applications for funding support for conferences taking place in 2017 must therefore reach the Faculty Office by close of business on Monday, 29 May 2017. Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis, so there is no need to delay an application until that date if you are able to submit it sooner. If conference paper acceptances are pending at the time of application, support will be made conditional assuming all other criteria for support are satisfied.

It is not yet known whether it will be possible to make applications for conference funding support within the new Colleges structure in the second half of 2017. 

Endorsement by your Dean and submission of your application:

Please note that applications must be submitted to the Dean of the applicant’s School (or delegate, where appropriate) for comment and endorsement before submission to the Faculty Office. If you intend to submit an application, please be sure to let your Dean (or their delegate) know, and to allow sufficient time for their perusal of it prior to the Faculty deadline.  School Deans may choose to put in place an internal School deadline somewhat in advance of the Faculty deadline. 

Completed applications should be sent to the Research Coordinator, c/- the EHL Faculty Office. Assessment normally takes between two and three weeks.

Extent of support:

Present indicative funding amounts are as follows:
• For conferences held outside of Adelaide: up to $500.00 contribution towards airfare, travel, accommodation, and registration.
• For conferences held within Adelaide, applications may be made for a contribution toward registration costs.

Please note that funding will not exceed quotes provided as part of any application.


The application for NCL consists of the following three documents:
•  Researcher Information form (DOCX 51KB)
•  NCL Application Form (DOCX 53KB)
•  NCL/OCL Outcomes template (DOC 70KB)

Payment of allocation:

Allocation of funds for national conference attendance will be made to you through payroll, meaning any allocation made will be transferred to you through your salary. Allocations will normally be paid in the pay period before your conference.

Taxation implications:

For enquiries as to how allocation through your salary will affect your tax return, please contact Darryl Crump in the payroll office on 8201 2500. Please be aware that your travel may incur Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT). For further information on how your proposed travel may be affected, please see the University's FBT policy, or contact EHL Accounts.


Recipients of Faculty funding support for NCL are expected to submit to the Faculty, within one month of their return to the University, a brief written report on the conference.  Please use the  NCL/OCL Conference Report form (DOCX 54KB) for this purpose. Submit your report to the Dean of your School for their endorsement, and then forward it to to the Research Coordinator, c/- the EHL Faculty Office.

Please direct queries regarding National Conference Leave to the EHL Research Coordinator.

Not seeking funding?

Staff members seeking approval to be absent from the University for research-related purposes (usually for conference attendance, but also for other reasons) and not seeking Faculty funding support should complete the research-related absence form (DOCX 51KB) and submit to their School Dean.