The Centre for Theology, Science and Culture (CTSC) is a research institute established by the Flinders University Department of Theology and the Adelaide College of Divinity (ACD). The Centre nurtures and encourages research and discussion on matters that overlap with theology, science and culture.
The Centre began in 1999 and was established strategically to bring together teaching staff of the Flinders University Department of Theology and the Adelaide College of Divinity and higher degree students to pursue research interests and promote public commentary on issues of science and culture in relation to theology.
Membership and expressions of interest are encouraged.
The CTSC is based at the Adelaide College of Divinity campus at Brooklyn Park.
The main purposes of the Centre are:
- to provide a focus for collaborative and individual basic, applied and contract research, such that the Flinders Department of Theology and the Adelaide College of Divinity can make a significant contribution to the discovery and interpretation of new knowledge and the revision and interpretation of existing knowledge in the field of theology as it relates to science and culture;
- to provide a platform for quality research, teaching, postgraduate supervision and consultative services within the school and the college;
- to stimulate a lively interaction across our society reach to engage the theology sector with the community at large on matters of mutual concern, interest and impact.
A series of lively ‘conversations’ will be held throughout the study year of 2016. These events take the form of guest speakers beginning a dialogue on issues topical to theology, science and culture. People attending may join the discussion, ask questions, listen to how it unfolds and be part of where it might take us.
Where is God as the waters rise? Climate change and Pacific Islands
See http://www.acd.edu.au/centre-of-theology/ for details
27 April 2016 5- 6.30pm
a ‘trigger conversation’ Property… the Individual …and Climate Change
Professor Paul Babie, Director of the Research Unit for the Study of Society, Law and Religion (RUSSLR) and Professor of Law at the University of Adelaide
Rev. Jana Norman, BSc Psych (Florida), MDiv (Yale), PCS, PDC, Minister of the Word, Pilgrim Uniting Church.
Where: Adelaide College of Divinity (Room S1) 34 Lipsett Terrace, Brooklyn Park
We provide: refreshments – including wine, cheese, light snacks
Cost: a GOLD COIN donation to help cover refreshments
When: Wednesday 5.00 pm August 24 2016
RSVP firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 8416 8400
CTSC Event - 24 August 2016.pdf (PDF 220KB)
- Ecotheology and the Earth Bible
(Principal Researcher: Revd Dr Dennis Edwards)
- The Earth Bible
(Principal Researcher: Revd Dr Norman Habel)
- Exploring Australian Spirituality through the Arts
(Principal Researcher: Ms Jennie Teasdale)
- Exploring the Spiritual Dimensions of Disability
(Principal Researcher: Ms Lorna Hallahan)
- Bringing Archaeological Sites of the Mediterranean to Adelaide(Principal Researcher: Revd Dr Michael Trainor)
- Reconciliation Revegetation Project
(Principal Researcher: Dr Vicky Balabanski)
- The Australian Biblical Project
(Principal Researcher: Revd Dr Michael Trainor)
For further information about the Centre, its activities, research programs, post graduate research or being on our mailing list please contact:
The Centre for Theology, Science and Culture
Adelaide College of Divinity
34 Lipsett Terrace
Brooklyn Park SA 5032
Tel: (+61 8) 8416 8400
Fax: (+61 8) 8416 8410