You will be a Commonwealth supported student at Flinders if you are:

  • an Australian citizen;
  • a New Zealand citizen; or
  • a Permanent resident,

and enrolled in one of the following course types:

  • an undergraduate course;
  • a graduate entry bachelor degree (other than a limited number of places in the Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery); or
  • a postgraduate course for which the University has allocated you a Commonwealth supported place.

You will find information here on:


What does Commonwealth supported mean?

‘Commonwealth supported’ means the cost of your study is shared between the Australian Government and you. You are required to pay a student contribution amount and the Australian Government pays the balance of your course costs. After accepting your place you will receive a copy of the Information for Commonwealth Supported Students 2010 HECS-HELP booklet. The booklet details your responsibilities as a student accepting a Commonwealth supported place.


How do I accept a Commonwealth supported place?

You will need to submit an online ‘Request for Commonwealth Assistance and HECS-HELP form’ on the Student Information System. Download the 2010 Commencing Student Enrolment Guide (PDF 2MB) for details of the steps required to complete the form. Completing the form means you are accepting the Commonwealth supported place in your course. If you study a combined degree, remember to complete a form for each course. Ensure you pick the correct form or your enrolment will be delayed.


What will study cost me?

Each year the Australian Government determines a range of fees the University can charge for particular subject areas and these are grouped into bands. The subject areas determine how the topics you study will be charged. See 2010 Student Contribution Amount for the rate schedule and examples of study costs.

The amount you pay depends on which topics you study and which subject area they relate to. Some courses have topics across a number of bands and this will determine the fees you pay.


What will I pay for each topic?

At Flinders, a full-time student is expected to complete 36 units of study each year. 36 units is also called an EFTSL, or ‘equivalent full-time student load’. Each topic you study has a particular unit value (eg 3, 4.5, or 6 units).

To calculate your student contribution amount for each topic, divide the topic unit value by the total units for the year, and multiply by the student contribution amount for the subject area. For example, LLAW1101 is a 4.5 unit topic in the Band 3 subject area. Divide the topic unit value (4.5) by the total units for a full-time year (36) and multiply by the annual student contribution amount ($8,859). The result is rounded down to the nearest dollar, so the student contribution amount for LLAW1101 is $1,107.00.

See the quick reference table on the 2010 Student Contribution Amount page for more information.

Am I eligible for a HECS-HELP loan and/or a discount?

Commonwealth supported students who are Australian citizens or Permanent resident (Humanitarian visa holders) may:

  • obtain a 20% discount for full or part (at least $500) payment of their student contribution amount paid by the due date; and/or
  • obtain a HECS-HELP loan from the Commonwealth Government to cover the student contribution amount.

All Commonwealth supported students who are New Zealand citizens or Permanent residents (other than Humanitarian visa holders):

  • must pay the student contribution amount in full by the due date (no discount applies); and
  • may not obtain a HECS-HELP loan from the Commonwealth Government to cover the student contribution amount.

Permanent residents or New Zealand citizens who take out Australian citizenship must present their actual 'Certificate of Australian Citizenship' to Student Finance Services on or before the relevant census date to become eligible for a HECS-HELP loan.


Other questions about fees

If you still have some unanswered fees questions, such as below, then check the Enrolling@Flinders>Fee information section and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) website which has answers to these, and more:

  • When are my fees due?
  • Are there payment options?
  • What if I don’t have a Tax File Number (TFN)?
  • What happens if I don’t pay by the due date?
  • Are there discounts available?
  • I am applying for Australian citizenship, can I get a discount or a HECS-HELP loan?
  • What is the census date?
  • How do I know how much I owe the Australian Taxation Office?
  • When do I start repaying my loan?
  • How much will my repayments be?
  • Is interest charged on my HECS-HELP loan?
  • Can I make voluntary repayments to the ATO?