- What is non-award study?
- What will non-award study cost?
- How do I enrol as a non-award student?
- How do I obtain access to Flinders University systems as a non-award student?
What is non-award study?
You may apply to enrol in one or more topics as a non-award student if you do not want to be admitted to a full course of study.
See also the University Policy on Non-Award Studies.
Students permitted to study one or more single topics will pay a fee for enrolment which is at least equal to the highest student contribution amount rate (for undergraduate topics) or the Postgraduate Coursework Tuition Fee rate (for postgraduate topics) for each topic.
Non-award topics at the Student Contribution Amount rate
If you enrol in an undergraduate topic on a non-award basis you will be charged a tuition fee equivalent to the highest 2010 Student Contribution Amount for the subject area, calculated as shown in the table below.
This applies to all Flinders topics with a level of 1 to 7 eg ITAL2122, AMST7000 and to some higher level topics.
National Priorities ($)
Band 1 ($)
Band 2 ($)
Band 3 ($)
(A full time semester)
(A full time year)
Example of how to work out the non-award tuition fee for a topic at the student contribution amount rate
Anne is a non-award student in 2010 and has enrolled in ITAL2122. Anne has checked whether this topic is to be charged at the 2010 student contribution amount or postgraduate tuition fee. This is a 6 unit topic for which the non-award rate is the student contribution amount at Band 1 ($5,310 per year).
A full-time load at Flinders is 36 units (1 EFTSL *). To calculate the student contribution amount divide the topic unit value (6) by the total units for the year (36) and multiply by the annual student contribution amount.
ITAL2122: 6 units at Band 1 rate 6/36 x $5,310
Anne's non-award tuition fee for ITAL2122 in 2010 is $885.00.
Non-award topics at the Postgraduate Coursework Tuition Fee rate
If you enrol in a postgraduate topic you will normally be charged the 2010 Postgraduate Coursework Tuition Fee rate.
This rate applies to most Flinders topics with a level of 8 and 9, eg POAD8102, HLTH9010.
Example of how to work out the non-award tuition fee for a topic at the Postgraduate Coursework Tuition fee rate
Julian is a non-award student in 2010 and has enrolled in POAD8102. Julian has checked whether this topic is to be charged at the 2010 student contribution amount or postgraduate tuition fee. This is a 6 unit topic for which the Non-Award fee rate is $260 per unit.
POAD8102: 6 units at the rate of $260 per unit = 6 x $260.00
Julian's non-award tuition fee for POAD8102 in 2010 is $1,560.00.
- Select your subjects (called topics at Flinders) by searching the Flinders Topic Information 2010.
- Click 'Show timetable' for each topic to check the timetable details.
- Obtain a Flinders enrolment information pack from Enrolment Services (email Enrolment Services). The pack will contain:
- a Flinders University Enrolment Form
- details of what information must be provided in order to enrol
- a reply paid envelope.
- Complete the required form, including details of all the topics you wish to enrol in.
- Post the form(s), using the reply paid envelope, to Enrolment Services, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide 5001.
- You will be enrolled in the required topics by Flinders University staff, who will send you a Confirmation of Enrolment notice in the mail. If you do not receive the Confirmation of Enrolment, please contact Enrolment Services on 1300 354 633.
- Once enrolled, you will be able to select your classes (tutorials, laboratories etc) online via the Student Information System - see access details below.
- You will also receive an account for your non-award fees, with methods of payment and due date details.
You must ensure you are enrolled by the census date, Flinders University cannot accept an enrolment after the census date.
Once you have been enrolled at Flinders, you will be able to obtain and activate your Flinders Authentication Name (FAN) and set your secure password.
Use your FAN and password to access the iFlinders website for email, the Student Information System, an electronic diary, Flinders Learning Online (FLO) and Library services.
Once your have logged in to iFlinders, use your Flinders Student ID and your secure password to access the Student Information System. The Student Information System will enable you to make changes such as registering for classes, withdrawing from topics, viewing results, viewing financial transactions, making on-line fee payments etc.
Use your FAN and password to access the Frequently Asked Questions site and to record requests for support for any enrolment-related problems.
Use your FAN and password to access your Flinders course materials via the Flinders Learning Online site.
* EFTSL = equivalent full-time student load. Flinders full time load for the year is 36 units. To calculate your EFTSL divide the unit value of the topic(s) by 36, eg 4.5 units = 4.5/36 EFTSL = 0.125 EFTSL