OS-HELP is a loan that assists eligible students, who are based in Australia, to undertake some of their study overseas. Students may receive funds for a six-month period for one or two overseas study periods, to assist with a range of expenses such as airfares and accommodation.
For 2019, the maximum you can borrow for a six-month study period is;
- $8,149 if you will be studying in Asia;
- $6,791 (if you will not be studying in Asia); and
- an additional $1,085 if you will be undertaking an Asian language study, specifically in preparation for your study in Asia.
Note that the loan for language studies must be for non-award study, which does not form part of your course/credit of your overseas study or university degree.
To be eligible for consideration for OS-HELP assistance, a student must;
- be an Australian citizen, an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder or a New Zealand citizen who has been a long-term resident of Australia since childhood and meet certain eligibility criteria (see the Study Assist website for details); and
- be undertaking a course of study as a Commonwealth supported student, leading to a higher education award at Flinders University; and
- have successfully completed at least 36 units of study undertaken in Australia towards the course of study for which the assistance is being sought; and
- be undertaking full-time study overseas; and
- have their overseas study count as credit towards their course of study; and
- be required to undertake at least 4.5 units of study in order complete their course of study on return from their overseas study.
OS-HELP assistance will not be granted to a student who;
- has received OS-HELP on more than one other occasion; or
- has been granted an OS-HELP loan for an overlapping six month study period
Students can apply for an OS-HELP loan at any point throughout the year (within 6 months of the start of overseas travel). Please note however, that the University only has a limited number of OS-HELP loans available and this allocation may be exhausted prior to the end of any year.
For full information about OS-HELP, please download the OS-HELP statement of terms and conditions from the Commonwealth Government Study Assist website.