|Student services and amenities fee
Under government legislation, as a cross-institutional student, you are ineligible to obtain a SA-HELP loan for your student services and amenities fee (SSAF) and these fees must be paid upfront. Visit the student services and amenities fee page for more information.
- What does cross-institutional study mean?
- How do I enrol as a cross-institutional student at Flinders University?
- How do I obtain access to Flinders University systems as a cross-intitutional or non-award student?
- I am a Flinders student, can I enrol in topics at another university and have them count towards my course?
- My cross-institutional enrolment at another university has been approved. What do I do next?
- Does the student services and amenities fee apply to me?
What does cross-institutional study mean?
Students studying at other universities may enrol in one or more topics at Flinders University through cross-institutional enrolment. Students intending to enrol in cross-institutional study must obtain the approval of their home institution.
Alternatively, Flinders students may seek approval to study topics at another university, and have that study credited towards their Flinders course.
- Select your subjects (called topics at Flinders) by searching the Flinders Topic Information 2014.
- Select your 'Subject Area' and click 'Display Topics' for each topic to check the timetable details.
- Enrol in your other subjects at your university and obtain approval to undertake the required topic(s) toward your course (as per your own university's procedures, or via authorisation on the Flinders cross-institutional enrolment form described below).
- Download and complete the required Cross-institutional/Non-award enrolment form (PDF 70KB) and attach the relevant supporting documents.
- Either email, fax or post the form to Enrolment Services:
Fax: 8201 2580
Mail: Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide 5001
- Your application will be provided to the appropriate School/Faculty for approval. Once your approval has been received Enrolment Services will process your application into the appriopriate Cross Institutional course.
- Enrolment Services will notify you of the decision and advise you of your Student ID No (if you are a new student). You will then be required to activate your FAN (Flinders Authentication Name) by creating a secure password and enrolling online in your topic(s) via the Student Information System. Instructions to do this are detailed in the 2014 Commencing Enrolment Guide (PDF 3MB)
- Within the Student Information System you will be able to access your Confirmation of Enrolment and Fee Account in order to make tuition fee and student services and amenities fee payments.
- After the census date, Commonwealth supported students will receive a Commonwealth Assistance Notice for studies undertaken with Flinders University. Your Fee Account will contain your payment due dates as well as details of the available methods of payment.
You must ensure you are enrolled and have submitted a CAF (Commonwealth supported students only) by the census date. Flinders University cannot accept an enrolment after the census date.
Use your FAN and password to access the FLO website for email, the Student Information System, an electronic diary, Flinders Learning Online (FLO) and Library services.
Once your have logged in to FLO, use your Flinders Student ID and your secure password to access the Student Information System. The Student Information System will enable you to make changes such as registering for classes, withdrawing from topics, viewing results, viewing financial transactions, making online fee payments etc.
Using your FAN and password log in to the Ask Trim website in order to access Frequently Asked Questions about how to apply or enrol in cross-institutional study and to 'Request Support' for any enrolment-related problems.
Use your FAN and password to access your Flinders course materials via the Flinders Learning Online site.
I am a Flinders student, can I enrol in topics at another university and have them count towards my course?
If you wish to study a topic (or topics) at another university and have it count towards your Flinders course, you must get permission to do so before enrolling elsewhere. You can request approval for cross-institutional study from Enrolment Services via the 'Help' icon when logged into the Student Information System.
Once approval is obtained your Confirmation of Enrolment will be amended with the cross-institutional topics to allow you to seek enrolment at the other university.
Approval to undertake cross-institutional study does not constitute acceptance or enrolment at the other university. You will still need to formally enrol in the relevant topics at the other university, and your enrolment is subject to the enrolment requirements, including payment of student contribution amounts or tuition fees, of that university.
International students undertaking cross-institutional enrolment will be required to pay a separate fee to the other university. Refer to the International Student Fees policy for details.
You must allow enough time to complete your enrolment and lodge another Commonwealth Assistance Form (for Commonwealth supported students) before the census date .
Once your cross-institutional enrolment has been approved by your Course Coordinator, Enrolment Services will add the cross-institutional topic to your study plan. Your cross institutional enrolment details will only appear on your Confirmation of Enrolment.
To enrol at the other institution, you will need your Confirmation of Enrolment. Log in to the Student Information System and select the 'My Enrolment' tab. Click on 'View My Current Enrolment' then 'I want to...Get my Confirmation of Enrolment by email' to have a Confirmation of Enrolment sent to your Flinders email address.
Take your Confirmation of Enrolment notice, together with evidence of your fee status (e.g. Commonwealth Assistance Notice for Commonwealth supported students) from Flinders University, to the institution where you will be studying the cross-institutional topic(s). You will need the Confirmation of Enrolment to show that you have approval to study the topic(s).
Complete your enrolment at the other institution according to their enrolment processes.
On completing the topic, your Faculty Office at Flinders will need to sight a copy of your academic results from the other institution, in order for credit to be granted against the cross-institutional topic(s). The grade for the topic received at the other institution will not be recorded on your Flinders transcript and will not factor in calculating your Flinders GPA.
If you decide not to enrol in, or to withdraw from, your cross-institutional study, you must notify both institutions. Please ensure that you 'Request Support' via the Ask Trim website, notifying Enrolment Services of your decision. Your study plan will be adjusted accordingly.
As a general principle it is expected that all students will pay this fee irrespective of course or course level. However some exceptions may apply, please refer to student services and amenities for additional details.
Note that under government legislation, as a cross-institutional student, you are ineligible to obtain a SA-HELP loan for your student services and amenities fee (SSAF) and these fees must be paid upfront.