Student services and amenities fee

Under government legislation, as a cross-institutional student, you are ineligible to obtain a SA-HELP loan for your student services and amenities fee (SSAF) and these fees must be paid upfront.  Visit the student services and amenities fee page for more information.

What does cross-institutional study mean?

Students studying at other universities may enrol in one or more topics at Flinders University through cross-institutional enrolment.  Students intending to enrol in cross-institutional study must obtain the approval of their home institution.

Alternatively, Flinders students may seek approval to study topics at another university, and have that study credited towards their Flinders course.

Click on the expandable questions below for further information for cross-institutional students.

How do I enrol as a cross-institutional student at Flinders University?

    1. Select your subjects (called topics at Flinders) by searching the Flinders Topics page.
    2. Select your 'Subject Area' and click 'Display Topics' for each topic to check the timetable details.
    3. Enrol in your other subjects at your university and obtain approval to undertake the required topic(s) toward your course (as per your own university's procedures, or via authorisation on the Flinders cross-institutional enrolment form described below).
    4. Download and complete the required Cross-institutional/Non-award enrolment form (PDF 200KB) and attach the relevant supporting documents.
    5. Either email or post the form to Flinders Connect:

      Mail: Flinders Connect, Flinders University, GPO Box 2100, Adelaide SA 5001.

    6. Your application will be forwarded to the appropriate School/Faculty for approval.  Once your approval has been received Enrolment Services will process your application into the appropriate Cross Institutional course.
    7. Once approval has been given, Enrolment Services will notify you of the decision and advise you of your Student ID No (if you are a new student). You will then be required to activate your FAN (Flinders Authentication Name) by creating a secure password and enrolling online in your topic(s) via the Student System.  See Access the Student System for detailed instructions.
    8. Within the 'My Enrolment' tab of the Student System, you will encounter messages that ask you to verify information.  Once you have confirmed your personal details and accepted the enrolment declaration, you will be able to select topics for enrolment.  See Enrol in topics and register for classes for detailed instructions.
    9. Within the Student System you will be able to access your Confirmation of Enrolment from 'My Enrolment' and your Fee Account from 'My Finances' for information about your fees including the student services and amenities fee(s).  Your Fee Account will contain your payment due dates as well as details of the available methods of payment.

You must ensure you are enrolled and have submitted a CAF (Commonwealth supported students only) by the census date. Flinders University cannot accept an enrolment after the census date.


How do I obtain access to Flinders University systems as a cross-institutional student?

Once you have been enrolled at Flinders, you will be need to obtain and activate your Flinders Authentication Name (FAN) and set your secure password.  You will then be able to log in to the Student System to confirm personal details and to enrol in topic/s. If you require more detailed instructions, please see the Access the Student System page.

Your FAN and password are also required to access your Flinders course materials via the Flinders Learning Online (FLO) site, and your Flinders University email.

Use your FAN and password to access the Ask Flinders website for frequently asked questions and to submit a request for support.

I am a Flinders student, can I enrol in topics at another university and have them count towards my course?

If you wish to study a topic (or topics) at another university and have it count towards your Flinders course, you must get permission to do so before enrolling elsewhere. You can request approval for cross-institutional study from Enrolment Services via the 'Help' icon when logged into the Student System.

Once approval is obtained your Confirmation of Enrolment will be amended with the cross-institutional topics to allow you to seek enrolment at the other university.

Approval to undertake cross-institutional study does not constitute acceptance or enrolment at the other university. You will still need to formally enrol in the relevant topics at the other university, and your enrolment is subject to the enrolment requirements, including payment of student contribution amounts or tuition fees, of that university.

International students undertaking cross-institutional enrolment will be required to pay a separate fee to the other university. Refer to the International Student Fees policy for details.

You must allow enough time to complete your enrolment and lodge another Commonwealth Assistance Form (for Commonwealth supported students) before the census date.  


My cross-institutional enrolment at another university has been approved. What do I do next?

Once your cross-institutional enrolment has been approved by your Course Coordinator, Enrolment Services will add the cross-institutional topic to your study plan.  Your cross institutional enrolment details will only appear on your Confirmation of Enrolment.

To enrol at the other institution, you will need your Confirmation of Enrolment.  Log in to the Student System and select the 'My Enrolment' tab.  Click on 'View My Current Enrolment' then click on the 'Get my Confirmation of Enrolment by email' button to have a Confirmation of Enrolment sent to your Flinders email address.

Take your Confirmation of Enrolment notice, together with evidence of your fee status (e.g. Commonwealth Assistance Notice for Commonwealth supported students) from Flinders University, to the institution where you will be studying the cross-institutional topic(s).  You will need the Confirmation of Enrolment to show that you have approval to study the topic(s). 

Complete your enrolment at the other institution according to their enrolment processes.

On completing the topic, your Faculty Office at Flinders will need to sight a copy of your academic results from the other institution, in order for credit to be granted against the cross-institutional topic(s).  The grade for the topic received at the other institution will not be recorded on your Flinders transcript and will not factor in calculating your Flinders GPA.

If you decide not to enrol in, or to withdraw from, your cross-institutional study, you must notify both institutions.  Please ensure that you 'Request Support' via the Ask Flinders website, notifying Enrolment Services of your decision. Your study plan will be adjusted accordingly.

Does the student services and amenities fee apply to me?

As a general principle it is expected that all students will pay this fee irrespective of course or course level. However some exceptions may apply, please refer to student services and amenities for additional details.

Note that under government legislation, as a cross-institutional student, you are ineligible to obtain a SA-HELP loan for your student services and amenities fee (SSAF) and these fees must be paid upfront.