Plan your study before you go online to enrol in topics and register for classes. You need to know which topics are required for your course, and which topics you should enrol in first. You may need to decide on subject areas if majors, minors, specialisations or streams are part of your course restructure.

Planning your study before going online is the most important step to ensure a smooth enrolment experience!

Read your course rule

The course rule shows the topics you need to study in order to complete your course. This may include core, option and elective topics, and details of specialisations, and major and minor areas of study. Read this first, before you attempt to enrol. The course rule will help you decide which topics or subject areas interest you. A link to your course rule can be found on the Flinders course information page.

It is your responsibility to ensure that you complete the requirements of your course according to the course rule.

Attend an information session

Course advice and information sessions may be offered for your course. These sessions are an important way to find out about the requirements of your course, which topics to enrol in, and when and where they are offered. Check the Course advice details page for more information.

Seek advice

Still unsure which topics to enrol in? The course coordinator and administrative officer for your course can assist you with course advice. Find their contact details on the Course advice details page.

Find topics & plan your timetable

The Topics 2018 site has information on each topic, including the syllabus, any prerequisites, timetable and fees. 

Decided on the topics you need? Plan a draft timetable using the details of class activities, days and times before you go online to enrol. Consider alternatives in case classes fill quickly.

Check out the Unibuddy unofficial timetable planner created by Flinders Honours students. Always check back to the official university timetable pages and to your registered classes in the Student System to confirm your class times.

Download a Timetable planner (PDF 37KB) to help schedule your classes.

Summer topics and some non-semester topics have early start dates, so check the timetable for details. Some classes may not start until the second week of semester, check your timetable carefully for start dates.

What is a full-time enrolment?

Full-time students normally complete 18 units each semester, or 36 units a year. In some circumstances you may enrol in more than 36 units - this is called an overload. Special approval is required for any overload more than 22.5 units per semester. You will be required to pay any fees and charges associated with the additional load. You can request overload approval via the Ask Flinders website.

Students receiving Youth Allowance or Austudy from Centrelink must be enrolled in at least 13.5 units per semester. If you are enrolled in 2 separate courses which are not recognised as official combined degrees at Flinders University, then you must be enrolled in at least 13.5 units in one of your courses each semester to remain eligible for Centrelink support.

If you are an international student studying in Australia on a student visa, refer to the General information for international students page for details of your enrolment responsibilities.

Apply for credit for previous study

If you have already studied at a higher education institution, TAFE/VET, or other Registered Training Organisation, you may be eligible for credit towards your course. Credit applications should be lodged as soon as possible, and normally no later than two weeks before the start of the relevant semester. If you lodge your application late then it may not be processed in time. For more information see the Credit transfer website.

Consider applying for a combined degree

Combined degrees allow you to undertake in-depth study in combinations that are not usually available in single degrees, eg Bachelor of Nursing/Bachelor of Health Sciences. Cross-credit reduces the time and cost and, with just 1 to 1.5 years extra study, you graduate with two degrees. Interested? Check to see if a combined degree is available for your course.

Admission to combined degrees in the mid-year offer round is subject to the availability of places.

Defer an offer or accept another offer

If you decide to defer, or accept a subsequent offer, you must ensure that you have withdrawn from your enrolment on the Student System. Follow the instructions for withdrawing from topics by the census date. If you remain enrolled in topics after the census date you will incur student contribution amounts, tuition fees and student services and amenities fees. If you were offered a place through SATAC, make sure that you notify SATAC of your decision to defer.

SATAC offers for mid-year enrolment cannot be deferred, you will need to re-apply later for a place.

Want to change your preferences? See the After you apply page for more information.