Continuing undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students who are not returning to study in the current year, but wish to return in the following year, must apply for leave. Leave covers a one-year period and a subsequent application is required to extend beyond one year. An application for leave is not required for one semester's leave, although there are some exceptions detailed below.

You can apply for leave by submitting an online support request via Ask Flinders.

Enrolment Services will seek approval on your behalf and notify you via your University email account if your leave request is approved.

Students who do not obtain leave will be required to apply for readmission to their course in order to return to study. Students eligible for Pre-2010 student status who discontinue study without obtaining approval for leave of absence will be charged at the increased student contribution rates.

Students commencing an undergraduate course who withdraw prior to their first census date must apply to SATAC to defer their place.

Students (undergraduate and postgraduate) who gain entry into a course mid-year (semester 2) and do not have an enrolment after the census date for that semester are not eligible to apply for leave and will need to reapply for admission to their course.

Students enrolled in an undergraduate Nursing course must apply for leave for any study period(s) by submitting an online support request via Ask Flinders. This is because of timed completion limits associated with the Nursing courses.

Higher degree research students who wish to take a break from study should review the HDR Policy (PDF) and contact the Office of Graduate Research HDR Admissions team – to make arrangements for intermission from their higher degree candidature.

In accordance with the ESOS National Code 2007, international students on a student visa are not permitted to take leave of absence, except on compassionate and compelling grounds, which are supported by documentary evidence.  Refer to Clause 11 of the Policy on International Students.

For more information about applying for leave, contact Flinders Connect by phone on 1300 354 633 or submit an online support request via Ask Flinders.