What is FEE-HELP?


FEE-HELP is a government loan scheme that assists eligible students to pay their tuition fees. You do not start repaying your FEE-HELP debt until your income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayments.

In the 2013-2014 tax year this income threshold is $51,309.

The FEE-HELP Information Booklet 2014 (PDF 545KB) details your responsibilities as a student accepting a FEE-HELP loan (subject to eligibility).


Am I eligible for FEE-HELP?

You are eligible to obtain a FEE-HELP loan if you are:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a holder of a permanent humanitarian visa
  • a holder of a permanent visa who is undertaking a bridging course for overseas-trained professionals


How much can I borrow?

You have a lifetime loan limit set at $96,000 for all courses except Medicine, Veterinary Science and Dentistry for which the limit is $120,002 (in 2014). This limit is indexed annually.


How do I apply for a FEE-HELP loan?

To obtain FEE-HELP you must complete a Request for FEE-HELP assistance form. Log on to the Student Information System and follow the prompts from the My Commonwealth Assistance tab. A completed Request for FEE-HELP assistance form must be received by the relevant census date for the topics concerned to ensure that your enrolment is not cancelled.


When do I repay my FEE-HELP debt?

You do not need to start repaying your FEE-HELP debt until your income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.  In the 2014-2015 tax year the income threshold is $53,345.  Visit the ATO website for more information about repayments, including early voluntary repayments.

To check your current outstanding HELP balance, you can either contact the ATO on 13 28 61 or log in to myUniAssist using your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) which is displayed on your Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN).


Further Information

Contact Student Finance Services for advice, or see the Australian Government Study Assist website for further FEE-HELP information.

You can also ‘Request Support' via the Ask Trim website.