Flinders offers masters and doctoral degrees which are undertaken entirely or primarily by research. Students seeking further information should search the Research Higher Degree web pages.
Enrolment in research higher degree programs is handled by the relevant Faculty Research Office. If you have received an offer of Masters by Research or a PhD, please contact the relevant Faculty Research Office.
Research Training Scheme
The Research Training Scheme provides domestic research higher degree students with an exemption from tuition fees for up to four years full-time equivalent study for a Doctorate by research and up to two years full-time equivalent study for a Masters by research.
Your periods of entitlement will be affected if you:
- Withdraw from studies, and then subsequently resume study in the same course or another course at the same level within three years, the period of enrolment prior to withdrawing from the first course will be deducted from the maximum period of entitlement for the second course.
- Change your course of study to another research higher degree at the same level, the period of enrolment in the first course will be deducted from the maximum period of entitlement for the second course.
- Transfer your research higher degree studies from another institution to Flinders University, the period of enrolment at the first institution will be deducted from the maximum period of entitlement at Flinders University.
- Transfer your research higher degree studies to another institution, the period of enrolment at Flinders University will be deducted from the maximum period of entitlement at the second institution.
- Downgrade your candidature from a Doctorate by research to an appropriate Masters degree, the maximum period of entitlement will be two years (three years if commenced before 1 September 2000) or the period of enrolment prior to the downgrade of candidature, whichever is greater.
Students are strongly encouraged to apply for variations to their candidature well in advance, whenever possible.
Your Research Training Scheme place will be terminated, if you:
- Cease to be an enrolled student without requesting a period of intermission.
- Do not resume study at the conclusion of a period of intermission or do not make arrangements to extend that period of intermission.
- Do not maintain satisfactory progress.
Continuity of Study
Research higher degree students who have exceeded their Research Training Scheme entitlement will be granted a Fee Exemption Scholarship.
Fee exemption scholarships
If you are a research higher degree student and you have exceeded your RTS (Research Training Scheme) entitlement (4 years full-time equivalent at doctorate level and 2 years full-time equivalent at masters level) you will be granted a Fee Exemption Scholarship for the remainder of your course.
Refer to Student Related Policies and Procedures, Policy on Continuity of Study for further details.
Student services and amenities fee
The student services and amenities fee is used to support the range of services of a non academic nature provided to students.
As a general principle it is expected that all students will pay this fee irrespective of course or course level. However some exceptions and reductions may apply, please refer to the student services and amenities fees page for additional details.