Child care

Flinders University Child Care Centre and the Flinders Medical Centre Community Child Care Centre operate on campus and another centre operates at Science Park (Goodstart Early Learning Bedford Park).

Most child care centres have a waiting list for new children. Depending on when you wish to return to work, you may need to put your name on waiting lists for child care centres even before your child is born. More information about childcare is here.

Antenatal leave

Antenatal leave is available (during the pregnancy and up to the time of commencing maternity leave) for reasons associated with the pregnancy (e.g. doctors’ appointments).

For further information refer to parental leave.

Car parking

A short-term disability parking permit is available to pregnant staff from 30 weeks gestation onwards by visiting the Practice Nurse at Health and Counselling. If there is a problem prior to 30 weeks that necessitates a special parking permit, written evidence from a treating medical professional is required. These permits are only valid when displayed with an annual, semester or day permit.

If you are a staff member breastfeeding a child in the Child Care Centre, a special parking permit may be available through application to the Manager, Equal Opportunity and Diversity.


Although Maternity leave will normally commence no later than six weeks before the expected birth, you may negotiate with your supervisor to remain at work until no later than two weeks before the expected birth. A medical certificate (refer CWA A21.8) will be required and written confirmation regarding safety requirements from the supervisor (see Policy and Procedures Manual).

Any full-time or part-time staff member who completes 12 months or more of continuous service with the University before the expected date of birth or placement of a child is entitled to 52 weeks’ parental leave. 18 weeks is paid Maternity Leave – the remainder may comprise Annual Leave, Long Service Leave or Leave Without Pay. Both the 18 weeks Maternity Leave and Long Service Leave are also available at half pay.

For further information refer to parental leave.
Leave application form 

Keeping in touch

You may wish to keep in touch with what is happening at work while you are away, so consider discussing with your supervisor how you would like to do this. Would you like to remain on email lists? Would you prefer only to get in touch when you wish to? The sorts of things you might wish to know are:

  • changes or restructures to the work area
  • positions vacant
  • promotion rounds
  • calls for OSP/OCL
  • Enterprise Bargaining negotiations
  • professional development activities
  • Diversity Forum
  • social events

Our draft discussion tool may assist you.

Midwifery support

Are you interested in sharing this special time with a midwifery student?

As part of their education, midwifery students follow women through their pregnancy, birth and postnatal period under the direct supervision of a Registered Midwife. They learn about women during pregnancy, birth and the first weeks at home with a new baby. This helps them understand more of what midwifery is about and how they can better work with women.

You will get to know the midwifery student who will offer support throughout the antenatal, birthing and postnatal experience. You are always in charge and can decide what you want to share with the student.

You can change your mind about having a student at any time. Your choices and maternity care will not be affected in any way.

A student can support you wherever you choose to birth.

Further information is here.

Return to work

Return to work provisions are available to the certified primary care-giver upon their return to work from parental leave in order to balance work and family responsibilities. This may take the form of either subsidised salary to a maximum of 0.4 of substantive salary for a period of 16 weeks (all staff) or financial support (academic staff only) of up to $7,000 (pro-rata for part-time staff). (Refer A21.22 and A21.23 of the CWA.)

For further information refer to parental leave.

Flexible employment practices, subject to the University's operational needs are negotiable.  The Flexible Employment Practices Discussion Tool is available to assist staff prepare for discussions with supervisors.

Replacement funds

Replacement funds may be available to supervisors to cover staff on Maternity Leave – up to 70% of base salary – refer to Human Resources Division. Replacement funds of up to 70% may also be available in relation to return to work provisions, by applying to Human Resources Division.

There is also a Maternity Leave Support Fund for grant-funded staff, which requires approval from the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research).

Breastfeeding breaks

A staff member who is breastfeeding will be entitled to regular breaks in paid time for lactation purposes.  Supervisors should provide reasonable flexibility for this purpose, and breastfeeding staff members should consider both organisational and personal needs when determining the timing of breaks.

Refer to breastfeeding facilities for further information.

Maternity Leavers’ Forums

The Equal Opportunity Unit holds six-monthly Maternity Leavers’ Forums which are open to anyone interested in issues in relation to pregnancy, maternity leave or breastfeeding.

For further information refer to Maternity Leavers' Forums

Pregnancy and Parenting Online Community

Flinders has a 'virtual' community of working parents who network and share information via the web.  For further information refer to Pregnancy and Parenting Online Community


Pregnancy and potential pregnancy discrimination is unlawful, but it is not discriminatory to make reasonable adjustments to the workplace to accommodate the effects of pregnancy.

Refer to pregnancy at work for further information.

Need further help?

Every pregnancy and every child is different, and although the University wishes to support potentially pregnant, pregnant and breastfeeding staff it cannot cover every possible scenario. If you need help, please email and we will try to find a way for the University to accommodate your needs.